Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey Results

Options
GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I did the bird with mixed results. The turkey (8 lbs) itself tasted wonderful but I need to finish it in the oven as it only had reached a temperature of about 140 deg in about 4 1/2 hrs. I used a brine and had the bird sitting over a pan of water and OJ. The bottom vent was open all the way and the daisy wheel was in the open position. The temp never moved much more than 200 deg. What am I doing wrong with the heat. I wanted to cook the turkey at about 275-300 yet I could never get there.
I have a large BGE and used a secondary grill placed over some firebricks.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    GJ,[p]Give us more info -- size of egg,amount of lump used, amount of lump left after the egg cooled.[p]The firebox and grate can easily be clogged with small pieces of ash or lump charcoal which will cause low temps. Too little lump can too but I doubt that was the problem since it takes very little fire to reach 200 deg. I wonder if you have a small or med Egg - if you added a large pan of water etc (which I don't think you need) you can create a blockage of air that will snuff out your fire or more likely keeping temps low . You only need a few inches around the sides for enough airflow for low temps.[p]I assume the Egg is properly set up, air intake in the firebox should aim through the bottom vent opening, grate in place and the firebox atleast 1/2 full. [p]Tell us a little more. There was a new user here last week that had a similar problem and it turned out that he had the lump under the grate, this is not sounding familiar is it?[p]Tim
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    GJ,
    I too have a large, and I usually fill the firebox above the airholes. Like Tim said, make sure your grate holes are not clogged. Use larger pieces of lump on the grate to prevent clogging. If you are shooting for 300, let your temp get up over 250 with your vents wide open. Then apply your daisy, and close bottom vent, for example, half way. As you get close to 300, step your bottom vent down. [p]Other potential problems are:
    Poor quality or moist lump.
    Not enough lump.
    Or maybe putting in firebricks and turkey (blocking some air) before fire really gets going well.[p]Just a few idea off the top of me 'ead.[p]Keep at it!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GJ,
    One more thing I was woondering.
    How many firebricks did you use, and how did you arrange them?? [p]They really suck up some heat, and also block airflow. Use only what you need. [p]Thanks
    NB

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    GJ,[p] Is there any possibility, the temperature probe located
    it the lid, mave have come into contact with the turkey?
    This would give you a false reading & things would not go
    as well as planed.

Earl

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    GJ, I think Earl may have hit on it with the temp probe sticking into the bird. I have noticed that I sometimes have a hard time getting the egg to rock. It may be my small pieces of used coal blocking the grate holes. I stir everything up good,, but it don't take much to block them holes. I should do a good clean-out,, but usually don't unless I'm doing my sacred ribs or butt.. I also have a slide-daisy that gives me a little more flexability. I usually have to have the daisy slots open and still have to slid the top open about half way to get the temps between 300 and 350. AND, as I have said,, with a brined bird and indirect heat on it,, cook the heck out of it and don't worry about going over 200 internal meat temps. It don't dry out, it just gets better, more flavorful, and more tender..

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    GJ,[p]You may want to smoke the bird at a higher temperature. Turkey is lean and I have found that smoking the bird at 350 to 375 (in a large egg) produces the desired result consistently. Give it a try sometime.[p]... Of course some of us, forum members that have one or more eggs, will swear that a deep fried turkey can't be beat. :)[p]Good luck,
    Puj

• GJ
    Options
    NB,
    Thnaks for all the info. I don't think the probe was touching the bird as it was only a small 8lb'er but I will check for next time. I think I may have put the fire bricks on too soon. I used three bricks laying flat and two on their side on which the grill sat. Below the bird was a porcelan(sp?) dish with water and OJ. I don't think I had a lot of air movement as well.

• GJ
    Options
    Tim M,
    I have a large Egg. The water may have contributed to keeping the temp low.[p]My usual practice is to close all the vents after cooking and then just pile some new lump on top of the used lump and ignite that material. I did not see the air holes so maybe I need to clean out the fire box, however, I did put my hand in the Egg through the bottom vent and there was not a lot of ash in there (I sort of felt like a gynocologist...lol). Is there a guideline in determining how much lump to start with in the fire box?[p]PS. I am using BGE lump.[p]