Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Throwdown 4 - Allez cuisine!

Throwdown Geek
Throwdown Geek Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Throwdown%20IV%20Banner.jpg

***EMAIL ADDRESSES CORRECTED! ***

Throwdown Heavy Industries LLC ® is pleased to present:
IronEgg Throwdown IV - Oh Crap...we need a side dish!

This throwdown is inspired by those times that I'm sure we've all had, where we are about to leave for a party and realize that everyone is supposed to bring a side dish. More often than not you're forced to make do with whatever is in the fridge/freezer/pantry in those cases, but luckily here you do have some chance to prepare. So let's see those sides.

Required Items. Feel free to use anything you might find that counts as 2 of these in 1 item, but don't expect to win heating a can of vegetable soup on the Egg and adding cheese!

* A starch - pasta, rice or potato based : instant mashed potatoes, french fries, tater tots, chips, pringles, spaghetti, linguine, rice cakes...you get the idea

* A Green Vegetable - You choose.

* A Cheese - Again, your choice. Note that the cheese in a spray can counts for a canned good!

* A canned good - ANYTHING that comes in a traditional tin (or any metal) can, home canned goods in glass Mason/Ball are valid as well - SPAM, Vienna Sausages, green beans (counts as 2 items if you want!), soup, dog food/cat food, canned salmon, mechanically separated meat product, whole chicken in a can...again you get the idea. I'd personally love to see this: http://gizmodo.com/351304/cheeseburger-in-a-can-reviewed

That's it! Add whatever else you'd like, cook them however you'd like. You must create one plated meal, using all ingredients, and all components must be cooked entirely on the Big Green Egg.

All Eggsessories and utensils are allowed…ie: platesetters, pizza stone, skillets, etc. Just remember everything that involves cooking (i.e. addition of heat) needs to happen on the Egg.

SUBMISSION deadline is SAT evening10/10/2009 at 10 PM EDT. This will ensure I have time to gather photos, contact contestants if there are issues with photos and be able to have things ready for voting. You must include at least 3 photos. 10 The "raw" ingredients, 2) the ingredients being cooked on the Egg and finally 3) the plated "dish" however a bowl, mug or whatever else you want will work. Just make sure you get a pic of a single serving. Note: Please include brief descriptions of the pictures, and most importantly, a description of the final dish. (No need to submit recipes!)

Mail your entries to eggheadthrowdown@gmail.com and attach the required photos. Note that they will be re-sized to fit the size limits of the forum so it may be wise to shoot them and send them at that size to ensure they display as you want.

VOTING will be from whenever I get the post ready (hopefully early Sunday morning) until 8PM Sunday 10/11/2009.

A single post will be made on Sunday, showing pictures of the final plate submitted by all entrants. Each entry will be assigned only a number. The photos will be posted using an anonymous and unrelated Photobucket account.

There will be a vote by forum members on Sunday October 11, to be submitted to throwdownvote@gmail.com. In your email, please include ONLY the number of the submission you are voting for along with your forum name. 1 vote per member only, please. You are not voting in the Forum. Email your vote to throwdownvote@gmail.com

Post your questions here or email eggheadthrowdown@gmail.com

Now in the words of the famous chairman - Allez cuisine!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Nicely done Throwdown Geek....welcome to the "behind the scenes" :woohoo: :silly: :lol: Don't forget the secret handshake.... :laugh: ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    So any two of the four items are required? Am I understanding this correclty?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Hey Molly!!!

If I read this correctly, all 4 items are required, but there is the possibility of having one item meet the requirement of two or more categories...

Please correct me if I am wrong Throwdown Geek... :)
  • cookn biker
    Anna, Thanks, could not quite get that, interesting.
    You good Anna?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Hey Molly,

I may yet get corrected by the Throwdown Geek, that was just my interpretation of it....

Doing real good, Molly... Any better it would be a sin!!! Hee hee... ;)

How are things with you? You coming to Atlanta?
  • cookn biker
    Life is next to perfection here, thanks for asking. Not Atlanta this year. Going to do Minn with Adam and co., next year Denver and Canada.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • AnnaG wrote:
    Hey Molly,

I may yet get corrected by the Throwdown Geek, that was just my interpretation of it....

Doing real good, Molly... Any better it would be a sin!!! Hee hee... ;)

How are things with you? You coming to Atlanta?

You are correct. All 4 ingredients must be present but if you can find them all in 1 item (say a cheesy potato soup with green beans in can) then you would have all 4 required ingredients in that 1 item...but your dish would probably be terrible...and nobody would vote for you.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Clarification on the canned good: You mentioned tins & metal cans..... Are home canned items (in Mason jars) acceptable?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye wrote:
    Clarification on the canned good: You mentioned tins & metal cans..... Are home canned items (in Mason jars) acceptable?

Absolutely...as with traditional canned goods those are something you'd have in the pantry. Good thining thirdeye!
  • Rockytop would say " In His part of the country Corn comes in a jar." Mason jar that is. White litenin, corn liqqer. That's a liquid veggie.LOL.
  • milesofsmiles wrote:
    Rockytop would say " In His part of the country Corn comes in a jar." Mason jar that is. White litenin, corn liqqer. That's a liquid veggie.LOL.

Jar? - yes
    Veggie? - not so much
    Green? - not at all

...but the folks at Throwdown Heavy Industries LLC ® might be "swayed" by some of this as a refreshment.
  • How bout as an additive, you know, corn juice,sweeten up the dish. G'ma always swore on it as a cure all.LOL Smiles havvin fun today. LOL. Hit wuz green when hit growed.
  • milesofsmiles wrote:
    How bout as an additive, you know, corn juice,sweeten up the dish. G'ma always swore on it as a cure all.LOL Smiles havvin fun today. LOL. Hit wuz green when hit growed.

Hmmmm you might be able to use it as a good way to get the lump started. Bet it would only take a drop or 2.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Great, now I can break out some of my .......uh, I almost gave it up. Heheee.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye wrote:
    Great, now I can break out some of my .......uh, I almost gave it up. Heheee.

Thanks for the clarification.

Canned pickled Jalapenos????
  • I've never done this before so I have a dumb question (although I think I know the answer). :ohmy:

Do all the ingredients have to go into a single final product?

For example, could one plate a serving of canned chicken on rice covered with cheese (3 required ingredients in one) and have grilled asparagus (the required veggie) on the side?

My guess is NO, that all ingredients must be incorporated into a single final item.

Thanks. Sorry if this is more clear to everyone else. :blush::whistle: :ohmy:
  • cookn biker
    Clark I was wondering the same. We can be dumb together :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Molly, as a 'fella' biker, you make great "dumb question" company ! :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger wrote:
    I've never done this before so I have a dumb question (although I think I know the answer). :ohmy:

Do all the ingredients have to go into a single final product?

For example, could one plate a serving of canned chicken on rice covered with cheese (3 required ingredients in one) and have grilled asparagus (the required veggie) on the side?

My guess is NO, that all ingredients must be incorporated into a single final item.

Thanks. Sorry if this is more clear to everyone else. :blush::whistle: :ohmy:

No. All required ingredients have to go onto a single plated dish but you could prepare them just as you stated.
  • cookn biker
    Anytime :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"