Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When using Maverick ET-73....

Options
ckillian
ckillian Posts: 73
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Which temperature reading do I trust? Or should I say, which reading should I pay more attention to? Dome or grid?

I've got my dome thermometer calibrated well. I know early on, there will be a difference between the dome and grid temps.

My dome is saying 250-ish, and my grid is saying 220-ish. I assume as I go on, the two temps will equalize and the grid temp (with the Maverick) will come up to match the dome temp. But until that happens, it seems like the Maverick reading jumps around a lot.

I'm curious where others set their alarm temperatures when they go to sleep for the night. I've used 260 for the high, and 210 for the low in the past. Does that sound right?

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I always clip my probe to the dome thermometer. There is no right or wrong way but thats what I'm use to, also most recipes here state dome temps.
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    Chris,

Relax, brother. 25-30 degrees is a fairly standard delta between dome and grid. All of the variables can drive you nuts, if you let them. Stability is the key. If I hit the rack at midnight, I like to set an alarm at 3 or 4 to check in and usually find things okay, maybe a slight adjustment required. A Maverick high pit alarm at 260 should be fine, but might be overkill. I didn't see mention of what you're cooking, but pulled pork has a huge forgiveness factor. I don't worry if they hit 300 during the night. Brisket, I like to be a bit more precise.

I've spent way too much time watching and worrying about the temp on my Maverick and find that, generally speaking, +/- 10-30 degrees will not make much difference in the final outcome. Incidentally, I usually find that if I stabilize at 250 dome for hours before bed, I usually wake up to a lower temperature and need to crack the vents in the A.M. for a bit to get back to temp. A gentle shake, or a bit of wiggle rod work usually sets it all straight in short order, so I attribute it to ash buildup.

Post pics and enjoy.

Joe
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am not sure if the Maverick will ever equal the dome thermometer even if clipped on the dome thermometer stem.

If you clip on the grid in the beginning there will be about a 25° +/- difference, grid being higher than the dome. As the cook continues on the difference will get closer but usually will not equalize. Opening and closing the dome will also cause differences.

If putting the Maverick on the grid and you are jumping around, it is possible the probe is too close to the food and getting a cooling effect from the food. Try to keep the grid probe about 2" away from the food.

If you haven't done so, get an alligator clip and put it on the Maverick pit probe. You can get the clips at Walmart, automotive store, Radio Shack and like stores. Don't crimp the alligator clip while it is on the probe itself.

Here are some clipping positions - Pit Probe Placement - Scroll about 1/3 the way down the page.

Alarm settings, I usually go 25° above and below target on the pit and 5° - 10° before done on the food.

GG
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    All recipes are dome temperature so you should use that. I have no idea why one would want to monitor the grid temperature since you have no control over that.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Phil,

One has as much control over the grid temp as they would the dome temp.

I have seen dome temperatures as much as 70° above grid temperature when doing low temperature cooks.

Nothing wrong with using either one.

Hope all is well out there, Kent
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    are you cooking @ the dome or grid level ?
    this should give you the answer.
    i set my temp to the grid temp, it's more accurate where the food sits