Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu vs. Moink Balls - Yuppie BBQ

Options
Don Marco
Don Marco Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy...

Last friday i had a catering job that was slightly different from what i normally do.

Lets say it like this : The hosts arent really living anywhere near the poverty level - and they liked to show off to their guests eusa_whistle.gif

In the beginning it should be a rather small party with 35 guests but when people heard something about a special kinda BBQ it became 82 adults and 10 teens within a couple of days.

We started off with preparing hundreds of pieces of fingerfood at home and then went to the house with two totally packed trailers.

57_pp_027_Small_4.jpg

Nice tents were set up in the garden and our catering corner was fully equipped with two commercial coolers, stainless tables, sink, hot water and everything we needed.
After i fired up Suzy we set up the other grills - 4 char grillers and 2 mini and a smal big green egg and started prepping the rest.

Heres the Menue :

57_pp_021_Small_11.jpg

57_pp_022_Small_7.jpg

57_pp_023_Small_13.jpg

57_pp_024_Small_7.jpg

Okay, in Your language :

Starters :

-Pineapple Lollipops
-cream cheese stuffed Dates, wrapped in Bacon
-Moink Balls
-Atomic Buffalo Turds
-Wagyu Tenderloin slices on fresh grilled Naan Bread with salt, parmesan or chimmichurrie
-Loin Ribs with BBQ Sauce

Main :

-Cedar planked Salmon with honey lime glaze
-surf & turf - wagyu tenderloin steak and lobster or crawfish tail
-grilled gilthead fish with mediterranean spices and garlic butter
-bacon wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, cream cheese stuffed peppers and mediterannean herbs and spices

Sides :

-grilled romaine salad with parmesan
-miniature asparagus with roasted pancetta and parmesan
-grilled mixed veggies ( eggplant, zuchini, bell peppers, onion, garlic, mixed with EVOO and greek seasoning
-grilled ciabatta with chipotle butter

Dessert :

-grilled Pralines

The beverages should be easy to understand.

The Host demanded that there had to be a full portion of every starter and main dish for every guest, so we ended up cooking more than 300 portions and hundreds of fingerfood pieces for 80 people.

The main ingredients were :

-65 pounds of australian prime Wagyu tenderloin
~140 lobster tails, 5 ounces each
~40 crawfish tails, 8 ounces each
-28 pounds of spanish "iberico" pork tenderloin
~46 pounds of salmon
30 racks of spanish serrano pig loin ribs
lots of giltheads

57_pp_001_Small_17.jpg

57_pp_002_Small_17.jpg

57_pp_003_Small_15.jpg

57_pp_016_Small_10.jpg

57_pp_004_Small_12.jpg

57_pp_005_Small_19.jpg

57_pp_007_Small_14.jpg

57_pp_008_Small_12.jpg

57_pp_009_Small_7.jpg

57_pp_010_Small_16.jpg

57_pp_011_Small_15.jpg

57_pp_012_Small_12.jpg

57_pp_015_Small_10.jpg

57_pp_013_Small_13.jpg

57_pp_019_Small_13.jpg

57_pp_018_Small_12.jpg

57_pp_028_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_026_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_029_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_039_Small_5.jpg

57_pp_038_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_033_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_034_Small_5.jpg

57_pp_035_Small_9.jpg

57_pp_020_Small_7.jpg

57_pp_040_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_043_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_044_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_049_Small_6.jpg

When the guests arrived i wasnt able to take as many pics as i wanted but
here are a few. It was a real PITA to grill all those different foods to perfection.

57_pp_051_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_054_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_056_Small_6.jpg

57_pp_057_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_058_Small_5.jpg

57_pp_030_Small_7.jpg

57_pp_059_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_062_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_063_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_065_Small_2.jpg

57_pp_068_Small_2.jpg

57_pp_070_Small_1.jpg

57_pp_071_Small_5.jpg

57_pp_072_Small_1.jpg

57_pp_073_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_078_Small_2.jpg

57_pp_077_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_067_Small_1.jpg

57_pp_075_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_076_Small_4.jpg

57_pp_074_Small_3.jpg

57_pp_081_Small_2.jpg

The guests loved the food and finished almost everything - everone ate for 4 people so to speak. I didnt expect them to hit us that hard. I was sooo looking forward to leftovers....

57_pp_069_Small_2.jpg

Anyway, this clearly wasnt "my world" but its nice to have the experience once.

What i liked the most about this was that the guests liked the cheap ribs and MOINK-Balls just as much as the Wagyu Beef and lobsters. We must be doing something right then.

So long,

DM
www.don-marcos-bbq.de

Comments

• bitslammer
    Options
    WOW! Great job. It must have been a blast getting to cook all that high grade food and it looks like you did it justice.

Is catering your full time job or more of a serious hobby?

König?? was this near Duisbug? I worked for Henkel from 1999-2004 and spent quite a bit of time in Dusseldorf and nearby. I remember having a few of those. Personally Uerige is my favorite beer ever, but a nice Frankenheim was also nice when in the mood for Alt.
  • Don Marco
    Options
    bitslammer wrote:

König?? was this near Duisbug?

Bingo ! It was in Duisburg, even though Koenih Pilsener is available all over germany.

My day job is in the natural gas business, taking me all over europe all the time.
    I do this catering stuff whenever i can to because cooking bbq for others is what i love to do and i´m tryin to make a livin of it soon.

Prost !

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    Once again Great Pics. I can see why there were no left overs. What a feast. That was an incredable cook. Wish I was going to the Jack so I could meet you
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That is way over the top DM. Absolutely outstanding.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I couldn't state it any better that Frank ! Over the top !

I sure hope you got paid WELL for that - man, what a lot of work.

Good luck at the "Jack" in 3 weeks ! :woohoo:
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    WOW, what a cook and what an experience!!! Salute.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    Looks like you did a terrific job Don

Ross
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    WOW that sums it up!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I am catering a wediing for my niece in July,you gave me some great ideas-drink early and often.Great job on the cook everything looked tasty.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thanks for the great post and pics. Everything looked fantastic. Good for you, and I hope you get to cater full time soon.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    WOW!!! That was absolutely incredible!! I can't even imagine that lifestyle. There's no doubt that you will pick up catering jobs from this one event. Thanks for sharing!
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Dang Don, Looks like a typical day at LC's and Bubba Tim's Gourmet BBQ and Fish Camp...lol...Great looking cook! Lots of work and you need more Eggs! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Remarkable! You need a dedicated photographer to document an event like that. May I volunteer? :P

Seriously, thanks for sharing, I'm glad the Eggs held up their end.

Sometimes simple food is best for fancy people. I once was asked to cook a dinner here in Charleston for an Academy Award-winning composer who was being asked to develop a new musical score for a friend of mine. After much reflection, I decided to cook Frogmore Stew, poured out over a table covered with newspapers. It was a total success. I applaud your moink balls and ABTs!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Dave, Amazing the different names for the same thing. I looked up "Frogmore Stew" and it sure looks like what you low country folks also call "Low Country Boil" and we simply call "Boiled Shrimp" or "Boiled crawfish" depending on the main ingredient.

I guess we need to find a more catchy name over here in the deep south. :laugh: :laugh:

I different twist is to add button mushrooms - they REALLY soak up the seasonings!
  • BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow Don, that's nothing short of amazing! I stress over a family dinner for 20 and you pump out increadible food like that. I am humbled!

BD
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    WOW, what an absolutely fantastic cook! You obviously have a ton of experience, skills, equipment and help to pull that off.

Do you print your own menues?

Everything looked fantastic, but I had to keep going back to the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, cream cheese stuffed peppers and mediterannean herbs and spices.

I would be interested to know more about how you stuffed them. The stuffing was almost perfectly centered and you could not really see any cuts.

I am guessing you butterflied them pounded justa littl, added stuffing and then closed and wrapped in bacon?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    3 kg of waygu filet for 747 Euros. That is $1088 for one piece.

I hope you were using their credit card to buy the supplies.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    What staggers me is the fact that the raw food value is probably more than I make in a year..! And yes, I'm way underpaid... even unemployed at the moment.. but it's nice to dream!

Nice spread, wonderful food and unbelievable opportunity. Congrats!
    Everything looked great... wish I could have tasted some of it! lol...

I'll bet it smelled great too!

Cheers...
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    Yup, same thing!

We're just good at marketing here, I guess. ;)

I sometimes tell folks it's the Lowcountry version of a New England Steam Pot, but perhaps Mainegg or another nor'easter will correct me on that.
  • Don Marco
    Options
    BobS wrote:

Everything looked fantastic, but I had to keep going back to the bacon wrapped pork tenderloin stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, cream cheese stuffed peppers and mediterannean herbs and spices.

I would be interested to know more about how you stuffed them. The stuffing was almost perfectly centered and you could not really see any cuts.

I am guessing you butterflied them pounded justa littl, added stuffing and then closed and wrapped in bacon?

Hi Bob !

I posted the recipe in this thread :

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=659165&catid=1

DM
    www.don-marcos-bbq.de