Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please post your Favorite Chili Recipes

Options
Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
That time of the year again and I need to know everyones chili sevrets and recipes.

Please post them so we all can enjoy a good pot of chili while watching FOOTBAll!!!

Comments

• Big Papa
    Options
    Thats Secrets :) bad typer this morning
  • Big Papa
    Options
    and Favorites lol
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Here's the 2009 throwdown winner :

Cow Lickin’ Chili
    by John Hall (egret)

Ingredients :

Olive Oil
    1 & 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck
    1 lb. Italian Sausage (casing removed)
    2 cups Onion (chopped)
    1 green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
    2 Jalapeno chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
    1-2 Serrano chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
    1 Tbls. Garlic (minced)
    1 (28 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 (15 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid
    1 can Rotel
    2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto, dark Kidney, or Black Beans (drained)
    3 Tbls. Chili Powder
    1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder
    1 & 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin
    1 tsp. Cocoa Powder
    1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
    2 Bay Leaves
    1 tsp. dried Oregano
    3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
    2 cups Beef Broth
    1 cup dry Red Wine
    2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
    Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
    Wood Chunks

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up).
    Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbls. olive oil.
    Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
    Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
    Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
    Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
    Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).
    Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300° F. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Noe problum, Papa. We knue whut u ment. :laugh:

I'm looking forward to the replies. Haven't had a good chili in quite a while. And I can always leave out the habaneros (that I know will be included in several of the recipes). :ohmy:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    You can't beat that recipe-literally!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    well my chili varies everytime i make it but what i like the best is using leftover chili for cornbread chili pie.. i have changed it as well but here is the basic recepie

Chili, Cornbread Pie, Woodoggies

When I got home last night there was nothing in the fridge but some suspect hot dogs and wilted carrots.... and after searching through the kitchen for a while, things weren't looking too promising for dinner.Opening the freezer, there it was ..... a quart of chili made a couple months back... and looking through the cupboards, there was fixins for cornbread. I like cornbread with chili and having remembered seeing a recipe for combining the two, I thought I'd wing it.I started up the egg, put in the platesetter feet down, let the temp steady at 350, set the skillet pie on the setter, closed the dome and let it cook for about an hour until the cornbread got nice and brown.It turned out really well and I ate way too much.

1/2 chopped onion
    1 14 Ozs. Can Creamed corn
    1/2 Cup Milk, Apprx.
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    dollop of mayo (no eggs and couldn't think what else to use)
    1 1/2 Cup Corn Meal, Apprx.
    3 tsp baking powder

1 Fill the bottom of a 12" cast iron skillet with about a 1 3/4 quart of chili.
    2 Mix well. Try to keep the mixture from getting too thick or too thin..... it should just pour out of the bowl.
    3 Evenly pour over the chili and bake until brown on top.
    4 Have a moment of silence for the greens, crack a PBR and eat.
    5 John

Recipe Type
    Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, WooDoggies, 06/17/04

this was my first one i think it had too much liquid

DSCN1076.jpg

here was the last one i took pictures of

DSCN1122.jpg

DSCN1121.jpg

the look has changes little since then but the flavor is always great i have even made it with a white bean chili before..

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    You can have my first born, but you can't have my chili recipe! :whistle:
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Egret,

That recipe looks real good. I have never heard of Rotel and from my internet search, it seems to be a mix of tomatoes and chiles. I wonder if it is available here in Canada. If not, how do I substitute?

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Just sub a 14 oz. can of tomatoes and a small can of chopped green chiles.
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Thanks Egret

Sage advice :)

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Maciek
    Maciek Posts: 54
    Options
    Here is the chili recipie that I use. It is quite good.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chili-I-2/Detail.aspx
  • Loco Lobo
    Loco Lobo Posts: 114
    Options
    White Bean Chicken Green Chili

Worked this out for a University of Texas tail gate about 10 years ago. Adjust the spicy aspects to suit your taste or audience.

4 - Chicken Breasts (boneless skinless) cut into ½ inch dice (you can use thigh meat if you like it a deeper taste but somewhat oily)
    2 – Red onions – large chop
    3 – Chicken bouillon cubes (great flavor adder without adding liquid)
    1.5 – Tbl cumin
    2 – Tbl diced pickled jalapeno
    1 – Tsp cinnamon
    1 – Tbl flour to thicken
    1 – Large can green enchilada sauce (mild or medium) or jar of green salsa (if you like it spicy)
    3 – cans Cannellini or Navy Beans drained
    1 – Large can diced green chilies
    Salt and pepper to taste

Brown chicken in oil, don’t crowd the pan or move chicken around until it turns really brown (flavor becomes stronger). Do it in stages if required. If the pan is crowded the chicken will steam rather than brown. Remove and set aside. Add Onions sauté for 5 minutes. Add bouillon cubes, jalapeno green chilies and spices; sauté 3 minutes. Add flour and cook one minute. Add green sauce and combine. Add beans and chicken. Put on egg or oven at 225 – 250 for 2 to 4 hours.

The longer you cook the more the chicken will shred. Crush some of the beans against the side of the pot to thicken.

Serve with cheese. Believe it or not goat cheese/ feta is really spicy and great!

My kids took this recipe off to college and use it for their tailgating.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks really good i saved it and will try it later.. thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Tis the season...

There are three chili recipes I use. All have tomatoes, beans and usually ground beef/chuck.

First is Sundown's recipe. I think he has posted his recipe on the forum, or if he hasn't maybe he will. Nevertheless, I was asked not to share it so for now, I won't.

I like egret's recipe with some ingredients left out, cocoa, cinnamon & the wine.

chili1.jpg

chili2.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

That does look good Bente!!!

GG
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    My Chili is never the same twice either. Kind of depends on what is coming, or came out of the garden.
    I make a “chili juice” every year that is a blend of tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic. This is my base and I run from there.
    I also use celery and additional chopped tomatoes.
    I also use both chili powder and cumin, but from there it’s a crap shoot except that I like beans in my chili (except when it is distended for “chili-dogs”) and that I always make it with ground beef, as my family doesn’t care for any sausage and such. Been there, done that….It didn’t fly!
    Oh…I don’t add any sugar, as I don’t care for that in a chili.
  • Smokin Squires
    Options
    Thin with the secret ingredient

Bold and Spicy Bloody Mary Mix

Tony
    Smokin Squires