Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just me and the girls tonight

Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Coated a ham steak with granulated maple sugar

P1020579.jpg

Some perogies boiled and then fried with bacon, cheddar, fried onion, green onion and sour cream.
P1020580.jpg
They were happy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great looking ham steak and plate Steven!!Um...I have two food dictonaries and I can't find perogies..what are they? Can't tell form the pics..taters? Never heard of them :blush:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good deal Steven. Love the Perogies.
  • Little Steven
    Molly,

You are funnin me aren't you. I'll bite. Perogies are a slavic/eastern european/russian staple. Little balls of potato and flour dough stuffed with stuff like bacon, onion, cheese and folded over like an empinada. You boil them and cover with sauce or boil and then fry. Heaven on earth. Always served with sour cream. Reelgem, help me out here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm with Molly. The word sounds familiar, but never seen or tasted any. They sond fantastic !
  • Little Steven
    Clark,

They are a little bland but if you can eat grits they are full of flavour. It's sort of strange how there are food borders.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Molly,

Just a small typo/spelling thing that's probably got you mislead.

Pierogi

Try this link:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pierogi

They are awesome. Big Polish-American faction here in Detroit, there available all over the place. Local burg of Hamtramck is known for the restaurants.

Joe
  • cookn biker
    Not funning you, never heard of them. Sounds interestingly good :) What kind of sauce..flavor?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • You have stepped on toes now, ole tundra-boy ! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You obviously need someone to cook you some REAL grits. :whistle: :woohoo:

At least you didn't say "I want a grit". :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    Whew, I'm not the only one.. :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • cookn biker
    Joe, I love the polish grub you all have access to!! Linguicia for instance. Can't get the good stuff here, polish for that matter. Are you my go to guy on that??..no really? :)
    P.S.
    Thanks for the link!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Steven
    Molly,

It's a potato and flour base...not to flavourful but thare are a thousnd ways to add to them. Beets, borscht.
    onions, bacon, pork, tomato sauce. Have you ever had gniochi?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Looks great. I'll have to try that.
  • cookn biker
    That is what came to my mind when you described them.
    Thanks for educating me!
    It's a good day when yoou learn something new!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I had heard of them before, but didn't know what they were.

They sound good, but more involved than I normally do.
  • Little Steven
    Clark,

I meant no offence to grits. I was commenting on the fact that there are food borders. I had never heard or tasted pulled pork until I worked in Chattanooga ten years ago. I discovered skirt steak in AZ maybe 25 years ago. Flat iron, flap, hanger, tri-tip are totally new to Canucks. Gumbo, beans and rice, pulled beef, Italian beef sangweeches are all stuff I have learned here. Biscuits and gravy are totally unknown in Canada.
    Just strange and kind of neat that we can introduce each other to new things.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Nice looking dinner ,My wife is peeking over my shoulder and loves the perogies.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • I was just kidding with you. I also have learned (and continue to learn daily) all sorts of new things on this Forum.

Hey - La Bomba quickly comes to mind. Hope to have my first case at my local Kroger soon. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Biscuits and sausage gravy is "to die for". And too much of it will kill you, :laugh: as you would be 300# easily.

You're exactly right about the food borders - and not just country borders - also very regional within the ole USA!

Have a great weekend !
  • I would be happy too with a meal like that
  • Little Steven
    rsmdale,

I've been to a couple of egg demos where the BGE Canada guys just cook them on the egg right out of the bag. Never tried them but most of the locals liked them. I like them just boiled but the girls like them fried.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Molly,

I can't make any promises. I'm a west side 'burbs kid and don't get downtown all that often. I will definitely look into the linguica thing, though, and get back to you. I just looked it up to refresh my memory and it's coming up as Portuguese. I vaguely remember Emeril working it up on his show.

Joe
  • cookn biker
    Thanks Joe!! Have a great weekend! Harvest moon on Sunday!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Little Steven
    Clark,

Thank God about the Bomba! I knew you were kidding but it is so cool the way this forum breaks down borders and we get a chance to see new things every day. We, in Canada, are exposed to a lot of cultural diversity, but we are rarely exposed to American regional cuisine.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Big George's BBQ,

Really wasn't nuthin. :)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Steve.............that looks so good.....Simple things are the best!! Shared with the family...priceless!!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Molly will you be in Atlanta? I do them on the egg and that is one of the things I am cooking there :)
  • This country girl from The South did not know either. I almost cried when I saw them, they looked so delicious....
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    The ham looks good, but I would really like to have a plate full of your side dish.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    now I want perogies
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Molly,
    If you don't want to make perogis from scratch you can find them in the frozen food section of Safeway or Kings.Usually stuffed with potato.I love them boiled and then with yellow mustard. Great for watching the game
    Jon