Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My New Large BGE

Tarpon65
Tarpon65 Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been fighting off buying my first BGE for over a year as I own a smoker, a 22" Weber Kettle, and a gasser for quick weeknight cooks. Finally purchased a large this morning. Didn't take too long to put together by myself and the photos show it in its final resting place beside my smoker, with the Weber hiding in the background. First cook tonight will be a London Broil that has been marinating in teriyaki sauce. May go ahead and plan to do a pork butt tomorrow night for a Sunday dinner.

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Tarpon65,

They are so pretty when they are new. You will love the way pulled pork comes out. Welcome.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BHE1
    BHE1 Posts: 205
    Congrats on the new egg. You are going to love cooking on it; you'll be surprised how easy it is to cook on.

Here is a picture of what I'm cooking on my large right now.

photo.jpg

Here's to the new egg and good cookin.

Ed
  • Tarpon65
    That's alot of meat there. Good luck and enjoy!
  • congrats on your purchase and welcome to the forum, it is a thing of beauty :woohoo: .....you are gonna love it!
  • Congrats on your new egg.
    Nice location for it..What island are you on? :laugh: :) :cheer:
    It will be interesting to see how long before you go back to that smoker and weber.I've had my egg a month and haven't touched my smoker or my Hasty-Bake since.LOL
    Have fun with your new egg.
    Jon
  • Welcome aboard, Tarpon!

You're in for one heckuva ride.

The BGE makes cooking everything so much easier. Here's a few of the cooks I've pulled off since jumping in headfirst on Father's day:

BABYBACKS_WET_X2.jpg

b7c01089.jpg

56d3a888.jpg

cf883bde.jpg

6f116dd0.jpg

Now go and get that thing smoking!

Joe
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    ENJOY! You will be very glad you gave up the fight and might find the other grills on vacation or just used to store eggcessories :)
  • Tarpon65
    Live in Sarasota. Kinda have a tropical jungle in my back yard. :whistle: I would bet that I will not use any of my other cookers for a while as much as I love the 22" Kettle. I use it for 90% of my cooking meaning I use it probably 5 nights a week.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I have the feeling that smoker will become a storage unit soon.Good luck w/ the cooks and don't blame the Egg if you have m ore friends hanging around.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Tarpon65
    Everything looks great. I've got a prime rib in the freezer that may have to be pulled out here pretty soon. I don't want to try it yet until I get comfortable controlling the temps.
  • Congrats I just started to use mine and really like iyt. Have done about 12-15 hours low temp cooks. Figure it should be ready for a high temp cook soon- steaks
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.

Great looking home for the new egg.

GG
  • Thanks. You'll get the hang of it in no time flat.

Grandpas Grub was gracious enough to post a nice quickie visual guide for temperatures at:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=670088&catid=1#

It's a great place to start. Calibrate you dome thermometer and away you go.

The prime rib I did was awesome. I can't remember who to credit for the method, but I started it at 500 degrees at the dome.

Rubbed with kosher salt, black pepper and Famous Dave's Rib Rub (or any of your favorites). Tied fresh rosemary sprigs in between the bones and the roast.

Roast on at 500 for three minutes and closed down the top vent until the temp came down to 325 then opened the daisy wheel a bit to stabilize.

Cooked to an internal temp of 125 and rested under foil tent for 15 or 20 minutes. Voila! Perfect medium rare that tasted better than anything I've ever had at a restaurant and the roast was on sale at the local butcher for $6.99/Lb - Choice Grade.

Have fun.

Joe
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Welcome aboard Tarpon. You are in for one helluva ride. These things are awesome. It's going to be a little more touchy than that drum smoker but it will hold temps forever. I cooked a 10 pound butt two days ago and it went about 17 hours. I filled it half way up to the fire ring with lump and after the cook I had almost half left.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Congrats and welcome to the forum.
    Might as well chunk the offset, unless you plan on doing 12 butts at once. Keep the kettle for corn, potato's and such while your steaks are on the Egg, at least until you get Egg no.2. Then you can chunk it too. I held onto my gasser for 6 months after getting Egg, and kettle for a year. Should have just chunked them the day I got the first Egg.

;)
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Nice! I love your backyard - mine is wet with rain right now, and I expect it will be covered in snow for a good part of the winter.

The 22 inch Weber Kettle is great. I still get good use from mine out at the cottage, but the Egg is so much easier to use (and more enjoyable). I had my Weber in my yard near my Egg where it sat unused for 2 years until I moved it to the cottage. It's pretty tough to bring yourself to fire up another cooker with an Egg in the yard (unless it's another Egg).

You are going to love it!

Mark
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Chunk the offset??? I guess you don't have a storage problem :laugh: I might go out and buy one just for that reason :P :P :P
  • egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    I've been told that "If you're looking, you're not cooking."
  • Tarpon65
    The London Broil came out great. Wife got on the phone for over an hour after I lit the charcoal, so I played with the air flow to see how a slight damper movements would affect the temp. Looking forward to cooking on it tomorrow night, although I'm not positive what I will be cooking.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Great lookin' setting for eggin'. I imagine you'll get some good natured guff for the other hardware. :laugh:

Welcome to the cult!