Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need transportation advice

Options
EggeRNMom
EggeRNMom Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hubby and I just purchased a 2nd Lg.BGE on Craigslist. Woohoo!!! Our dilemma is, how should we transport this rascal? Our first one was delivered and set up as a gift, but this time we are on our own. We have a Grand Caravan which also has a trailer hitch. The egg is currently in a nest, so we need to get it into said vehicle and secure it. Any suggestions with specifics would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I would just put it on a back seat and wrap with some blankets and the just put the seat belt around it and it should be fine.Just don't run the Indy on the way home.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Hi And welcome and congrats on your egg rescue :) We have hauled our large before . take out the innards and pack in a box with old towels between the layers. it take both of us to lift it out of the nest and put it in the truck or back of the suv. tie down and pack the nest separate :) enjoy! Julie
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    If you have an extra bag or 2 of lump, bring it with you. Take the egg out of the nest and slide it to the front of the cargo area of the van. Use the side of the van and the 2 bags to secure it and lay the nest in there somewhere.

You could bring some rope and snug it down to the brackets in the floor of the cargo area if you would feel better about it.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Good point on taking out the innards of the egg.It will make it easier to handle.
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Good point on taking out the innards of the egg.It will make it easier to handle.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Just don't go over 30MPH when towing behind a vehicle. The nest wheels will wobble.
    Just kidding I disassemble pack and reassemble at it's new home.
    E
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    When I bought my new large, I brought it home in my 4 door sedan. I had to take all the pieces out of the large box and wedge them in somehow. The body of the egg sat in the front seat with one of those nylon tie-down straps around it and the seat back. Don't see why you couldn't do that even with the dome attached. No nest though! I don't think the seat belt would work too well in a panic stop, but the nylon straps should hold. Sort of like this with a strap just under the gasket lip...

traveling80.jpg

Sorry, best example pic I could find - and I know how you guys LOVE pics!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I put it right in the back seat of the car and strapped it in - removed the innards to make it lighter.

P8081116.jpg

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EggeRNMom
    Options
    Thanks all. I will let you know how the adventure goes. The Grillmaster General is an engineer and I know he appreciates all your input. Thanks again!!