Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inaugural dinner

Options
phil28
phil28 Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm using my large BGE for the first time. I bought it in spite of my wife's skepticism that I'm not a great cook (she's right). So what do you suggest I make the first time to convince her she was wrong? Needs to be simple and details appreciated. I've looked over several recipes so I can find many choices, but I'm looking for your advice on what will make the best impression.
Thanks for all your help.
Phil

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    I always recommend Spatchcocked Chicken for early cooks on a new Egg. It's easy, juicy and very tasty.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

Spring "Half Cocked" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Eggmoramus
    Options
    I agree with Spring Chicken. I have had my BGE for about 7 months and my first cook was spatchcock chicken and it is simple and superb. Good luck.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Spatchcocked chicken is excellent and simple. However, anything that you cook on the Egg will be better than what you had before, so IF you have a cook that you are really comfortable with (burgers, steaks, chops, chicken breasts), then I suggest you go with that cook, because it will not fail to impress.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Welcome! the chicken that has been recommended is the best way to go. very easy and forgiving :)let us know how you make out and when she changes her mind on your cooking! You are going to find yourself doing a lot more of it I bet! Just make sure that you give the fire time to clear and not be to smokey. that is the biggest mistake new eggers make. If you don't it will have a very unpleasant smokey taste :pinch: and don't add any wood chips for the chicken. poultry really soaks it up fast. Julie
  • sharhamm
    sharhamm Posts: 258
    Options
    Fencing012.jpg
    My first spatchcocked chicken on Wednesday using the Honey Mustard Chicken recipe from this site. It was fabulous.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Phil,

I face the same skeptisim for my wife, now she's eating like a queen.

I agree with Spring Chicken and Mainegg - chicken is your best bet and Julie's receommendations should keep you on the path to success.

My earliest test/issue was chasing the temperature. thirdeye and GrampasGrub have many posts that help in this area.

Good luck and welcome to the cult!
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Phil28!

As another newbie to the BGE, I have a question about this process too. I'm planning on doing the spatchcocked chicken this weekend. I don't normally work with whole chicken so does it matter if you get a whole chicken labeled as a fryer or a roaster? Would one work better than the other for the spatchcocked recipe?
  • phil28
    Options
    Chicken it is. Will report back.
    Phil
    San Diego
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Advise you show up with pics else you might incur some well mannered and intentioned wrath. :laugh:
  • phil28
    Options
    Can someone compare this results of this approach to using the accessory chicken holder made by BGE? Avoids the "chicken surgery".
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Cheryl,

You can use either a fryer or a roaster, depends on how you much chicken meat you want to serve. I think most people use the fryer, its smaller (3-4 lbs)and takes approx. 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 dome. Remember to cook to temperature and not to time (160 degrees in the breast and 180 in the thigh).

Phil28, the chicken surgery is easy. Just buy some kitchen shears and cut down both sides of the backbone, then flatten the chicken out by pressing down on breast bone. You can also use a beer can (half-filled with liquid of your choice)or use the holder, but then you have to clean that afterwards.

Let us know how it comes out.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    Options
  • phil28
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Prepared the chicken, cooked it and just finished eating it. Overall results were very good. My wife thought it was really juicy and liked it a lot.

There was room for improvement in a few areas. The skin was not brown enough. Perhaps I should have started it out with the skin side down. And the seasoning was not strong enough; that's a judgement call and had not used the seasoning before. (BTW what do you recommend for a reasonably spicy seasoning?)

Prep went like a breeze and was a lot easier than expected.

Cooked to 180 in the thigh. Might have cooked it a little longer as the meat near the bone was slightly chewy. Used a Rosie's organic sustainable chicken from a local chain, Henry's (like Whole Foods.).

All in all a good inaugural dinner.

Thanks,
    Phil
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Phil,

Glad the dinner was good. What did you end up with - the spatchcock or the beer can chicken??

Some people dont like skin at all, if you and your wife are skin people, there are ways to get it crispy, we just need to know how you are cooking it.

As for seasonings, Dizzy Pig makes great seasonings that work well for chicken. check out Dizzypig.com or come to an Eggfest near you and you might be able to buy some there.

As everyone has their preferences, you might like your chicken cooked to a higher temperature. Just experiment a bit and see what you like the most. Since your inaugural dinner went well, and I can tell you, for sure, they only go UPHILL from here!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• phil28
    Options
    Did the spatchcock chicken and got an anatomy lesson at the same time. I just ordered some rub from Dizzy Pig. Thanks for the suggestion. You're right; only way to go is up now. Surprisingly it was easy to maintain the BGE at the correct temperature. Thanks again, Faith for your advice and counsel.
    Phil
    San Diego
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Phil, you are very welcome.

I know you will really enjoy the Dizzy Pig rubs.

Faith

• NoVA Bill
    Options
    The chicken surgery is easy, very easy else I would do it. A poultry shear is the ticket.