Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to apply rub?

BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing some pulled pork tomorrow night and don't have in my notes when to apply the rub and let sit. 24 hours prior to cook? Also, do most use mustard prior to rub application?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    One of the things that ditcates how long a rub can be on meat is the salt content of the rub. Salt can actually have a curing effect on the surface if left on too long. Other than that you will see a mixed bag of answers as far as the times. I usually go several hours.

I bet the mustard usesr amout to 25% or less. It is a nice anchor for a rub, and I think it helps lock in some moisture when the meat starts to sweat.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    My preference is to get the flavor from the long cook and the bark, so I put the mustard and rub right before the cook - within an hour or so as everything is getting ready.

Some people like a long time to marinade and they are not wrong either.... :laugh:
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think I rubbed the night before a butt cook once. Usually, I just do it right before I throw it on the cooker as I really didn't notice any difference. Bark is great. Smoke ring is great. Taste is great. Have yet to have a butt I didn't like. :)

Oh, and mustard is for hot dogs. B)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    yo, Seth, so how was the Springfield fest last weekend and pulling your cool hut to Lake of the Ozarks? Go down Rte 54 by any chance near Perry and Mexico, Mo?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Me too.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Don't do the mustard and rub right before cooking the butts. -RP
  • BeerBQ,

As you can see, there are lots of answers, yet none are wrong. THe key here is that a butt is a VERY forgiving cook.

In fact, tonight I reheated some frozen vacuum sealed pulled pork with a March '09 date on it. My wife and daughters RAVED about how good it was ! First time to reheated some prior pulled pork. Moist and flavorful!

Personally, I use no mustard and apply the rub prior to the cook. No deliberate wait time and definitely not overnight - afraid of getting a cure, as mentioned above.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

250* dome temp, drip pan underneath, LOTS of lump (up to the top of the firering) and o peeking ! :laugh: I remove from BGE at 200-205 internal temp, let rest until cool enough to pull, then enjoy ! Allow 1.5 -2 hr per pound totoal cook time.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Personal Preference!!!Try both,with,without mustard,let set 24,18,12,6,0 hours.Eggsperiment!!!Plus you get to cook more!!!It's R&D!!! B) :evil: EVER tried 'LONEY???!!! :laugh:
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Thanks for all the great responses! I'm gonna leave out the mustard and rub right before the cook. We'll see how it turns out. Thanks again!
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    I apply mustard and BBB rub nite before cook, i cook at 250 dome until 200 internal 1 hr per lb max. slice and eat always turns out great. Good Luck