Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Fresh Ham Vs. Boston Butt

Options
Knauf
Knauf Posts: 337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can I cook a Fresh ham like a BB low and slow rubbed and serve like pulled pork? Publix has them for about $.99 lb vs $2.49 for the butts.

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Cooked or uncooked?

Cured Ham?
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Yes!
    I have done it several times. It may taste more "hammy" to some, (whatever that is ;)), but it will still be great.
    Go for it.
    Later,
    Ron.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Fresh Ham…Could mean the cut or a cured, but not smoked / cooked “ham”.
    Just wondering which it might be.
    If it’s the cut…Why not! I would think it would be just more lean. If it’s cured, it will have different taste to it, but I would think it would still be VERY good!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    You are comparing a rump or round roast to a chuck roast.
    Texture is differant. Flavor will be differant becase of the fresh ham being leaner.
    99 a pound is a great deal. You could get and do a cured and then smoked product using any cure that you have seen on the board.
    E
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    The leanness of a leg is a restriction when trying to treat it like a shoulder when barbecuing. It's possible to dry them out a little when taking them to the internal temperatures you use for pulled shoulder. Many folks will use a foil finish on them to help lock in moisture. Others use injections for the same reason.

You may be able to shread some of it, but they are very nice when sliced too. Don't overlook chopped pork, that's how a lot of whole hog cooks use some of the leaner parts. I really like chopped pork.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I do them the exact same way but I only take them to 185. I have never injected or foiled and they have always turned out great. If it has the solution added "to retain moisture" it will have a slight ham taste.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    They don't pull at that temp do they?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • They have for me. I always rest them in foil in a cooler so the temp probably rises some more. Some times they don't shred quite as nice but they still pull.