Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does any one have a recipe for...........

Options
JCinGA
JCinGA Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does any one have a recipe for Chassuer sauce aka Hunters sauce?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Options
    I don't have a set in stone recipe....I don't use them...but Sauce Chausser is minced mushrooms and shallots tossed in butter, add white wine and reduce by at least half....cold butter and fresh minced parsley to finish. (season to taste).
    Hope that's what you were looking for! (It is the true classical preparation....)
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Sorry...Hunters is typically finished with tomato.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    LC, your ingredients are as mine, but I wonder if you do as I do ;) putting it together.
    I don't really have a recipe either, but here is a starting point and a bit of a guideline.
    1 C. white wine
    6 oz. sliced mushrooms
    2 to 3 shallots, thinly sliced
    2 T. sweet butter
    1 C. diced tomatoes
    1 to 2 T. fresh parsley, chopped (more or less to taste)

Heat the wine adding the mushrooms & shallots and reduce by about 1/2.
    Add the tomatoes, cook until the sauce is a bit thick ( simmer for about 10 minutes or so) and then stir / swirl in the cold butter.
    Once the butter is added, the sauce can not be further reduced, because it will break.
    Season with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley
    and serve over the meat.

I actually have a recipe for a “Hunters Chicken” that uses pretty much the same ingredients for the sauce, but also calls for cognac and tarragon…I haven’t tried that one.
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Spuds....I sautee the shallots and mushrooms in some of the butter.....then deglaze with wine, and allow the wine to reduce. Mount with cold butter (or add cold butter at the end, off the heat, which will thicken and richen the sauce....finish with parsley). And yes, you are correct, once you add the cold butter, it can not come back to a boil, or it will break. But butter for the sautee is fine... If you add tarragon, you have Sauce E'stragon....(tarragon sauce). And...IMHO...any sauce made with Cognac or Brandy is wayyy better than one made with wine, but my brain is too tired to think of the "classical" name for them...though I am sure they are out there. :laugh: ;) Maybe tomorrow.... :laugh:
    Spuds...if you are into sauces and true classical preparations...and are interested...I strongly recommend a book called "Le Repertoire de La Cuisine" by Saulnier. It was written back in the Escoffier days. A small book, inexpensive, but was my bible back in culinary school. FWIW.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    LC:
    Thanks for the info from your side…And thanks too, for the heads up on the book. I’m thinking it would be a really fun one to have in the library.
    Doing a sauté’ of the shallots and mushrooms first…That makes all the sense in the world!! I do that all the time with all the veggies for almost EVERYTHING I make…It just never hit the radar here for this sauce and I really have to wonder why.
    As for the use of Cognac; I agree that is a wonderful taste. I do a Bourguignon Pot Roast that is slow cooked with Cognac / Brandy that is to die for!!
    Not to get WAY off topic…I have to ask JCinGA: Did you make a sauce? How did it turn out? How did you serve it?
    And with what type of meat?