Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which dome temp for searing with the spider

BenCour
BenCour Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

I should be receiving my 13 inch CI grid soon and I'm already planning to cook a nice ribeye Trex way on it. Using the spider and the CI grid, I was wondering at which dome temp should I get a nice searing for my steak. I was thinking at around 450. What do you guys think ?

Ben

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I'm about to put a couple of NY strips on mine - normal position CI grate - as soon as my temp hit 750.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I have the spider but not the grate yet.

But I would do 300/350 dome temp if it was me and do it with the dome open so I could monitor the meat. I do it with dome open at regular grill height.

That should be a good reference temp and not char so fast as to ruin your steaks.

Adjust from there for future cooks.
  • I have a spider and small CI. I run mine at 400 degrees. At that dome temp my CI grate is hot enough that any seasoning on it gets burnt back off. It will char a steak quickly.
    I prefer my steaks medium and put my raised grid in with the grill on top and dwell the steaks up high until I reach my desired temp.
    I like this setup as it gives me the char I desire and control for the desired finale temp.
    TTFN WLL
  • The spider-mounted CI grid is so much closer to the charcoal than the dome thermometer that I'm not sure dome temperature matters so long as you have a good hot fire.

That said, I routinely do 550ºF dome for sears with this (spider+CI) setup. Getting much hotter than that on my Egg requires cleaning out the firebox first. I once tried reading the CI surface temp with a non-contact IR thermometer and it read 750ºF, which was the temperature limit of the IR thermometer. The grid could have been much hotter.

Two tips for searing:

(1) Put the prettiest (presentation) side of the meat down first. This is because the CI grid is hottest before the food touches it. It will cool down a bit when the food hits it, so the second-side sear isn't quite as good as the sear on the first side to touch the metal.

(2) When turning the meat to the next side, switch to a different section of the grid if there is room.
  • BenCour
    BenCour Posts: 62
    Thank you all for your good advices. I will try to take picture of my first cook on it.

Ben
  • Cook TRex ribeyes exclusively since I got my spider and 13" CI.

Method:
    1) Nothing but S&P on ribeye for the sear - most anything else (especially rubs) will burn at the spider level.
    2) I have found that 'hot tubbing' my steak prior to the cook will result in a perfect med rare cook with very little medium or well toward the edges. I place the steak in a sink in warm water (about 85-87*) for 30-45 min. while getting the fire ready.
    3) I learned on the Forum NOT to close the dome during the sear. (Not letting the dome get hot will make it easier to maintain 400* for the roast). I leave the bottom vent wide open, let my fire get lava hot, the CI grid turning white. I use long tongs and welder gloves. 45 sec, turn 90* for 45 more sec., flip, 45 sec then turn again for 45 sec. Remove from fire and let rest for 20 min.
    DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    4) Place either the original grid on or use an elevated grid. Close the bottom vent to about 1 inch open and leave the top open (no Daisy wheel). This will get my egg right on at 400* where I let it stabilize while the steak rests.
    5) Put rub on both sides of steak. Let rest until dome stabilizes at 400* (making any adjustments to keep it at 400*).
    6) Place steak back on for the roast (at 400*), after inserting a continuous temp probe. Remove from grill when temp reaches 125*. Plate and cover with foil for 5-8 minutes while getting salad, sides and drinks ready.
    7) Enjoy a fantastic TRex'd ribeye !
    DSC_0009.jpg

No ketcup or steak sauce allowed ! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: