Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Bevel Edge Up or Down?

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think this may have been addressed recently but I cant' seem to find it.
Bevel down provides the most grate/firebox contact, but with bevel up the edge seems to bite a little making it a little more stable.
Dont think it matters much on the Large since the grate has some heft, but the lighter weight of the small grate allows it to occassionaly come unseated when Im poking around to get ash to fall through, resulting in the unused lump in the bottom also which means having to get my hands dirty separating it out.

Any thoughts? Does it matter?

Thanks!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Bevel down so it matches the slops of the firebox. That way when it expands it can slide up and down more easily against the walls of the firebox....as opposed to putting pressures on it and breaking it up.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    So let me tell you something. Bruce at the Denverfest told us bevel down. So I've been trying it. From my experience it moves way to much for my liking. From how it lays in the bottom to if you use the wiggle rod. It is all over the place. I'm talking on the large, med and mini. Just what I have experienced.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    guess i need to get me some them latex gloves....
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :blink: used bevel up until Bruce corrected us..
    like bevel down much better -- had too much movement and such original way -- especially using Wiggle Rod for LBGE on Medium -- now that has been corrected, too :woohoo: thanks to Thirdeye B)
  • thegrillster
    Options
    The holes are beveled also. They should be facing up. I think this puts the beveled edge up also.

The holes being beveled allows for ash to more easily fall through IMO.
  • Grill Sergeant
    Options
    I discussed this topic a while back on the forum. Also talked with the "Mothership" about this at that time. The drawing in the "green book" clearly shows the bevel down on page 8. I was told " with the bevel "up", as the grate expands from the heat it could dig into the fire box side causing pressure on both the grate and fire box. Is it possible, by not installing the grate as recomended be causing the cracked fireboxes and grates I read about on this forum ? Just a thought !
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    No -- I'm not being a Wise Guy! B)

I recently replaced my grate with a slotted grate... no holes.

Then, added 4@ -- 4" x 1/4 inch bolts [with nuts to attache the bolts to the grate].

So -- My new grate sits about 3/16" above the edge of the firebox... instead of onto the firebox.

Lots of air flow... thus ability to control air and temp... yada-yada...

Try it -- You'll like it! :woohoo:

:side: :whistle: ~ Broc ~ :huh: :ermm:
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Where are the pics? We want pics!