Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Watcha cooking

PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
in Atlanta??? I won't be able to make it but I'm sure you all have your menus ready??

Cheers!

Comments

• Pato,

I'm going to do a biryani. Tried it in Niagara and other than overcooking the rice and forgetting a couple of herbs it came out well. Indonesian sate and something with Bomba on or in it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• PWise
    Sounds great Steven!!

BTW.... When are you coming to Mty? hehehe...

CheerS!
  • Do those flap steaks again. They and the Sate were da bomb :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:. Tried to do both myself this week but my butchers an idiot so I only did the sate. Turned out great.

Doug
  • Doug,

I didn't do any flap steaks..just brought some. MaXim did them at the fest and I think Dale cooked them at the afterparty.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I cooked them at the after party, but who's keeping track.

Doug
  • Doug,

Sorry! I'll stop by my butcher tonight and see what he ordered them as.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hot lobster dip, If I get the lobsters picked off and frozen and have it still taste good! I think I have it now thanks to Big'un. it is tough work taste testing lobster meat :whistle: and also grilled Pierogi's. I have no idea if the timing and sharing an egg and table will allow me to do both?? might have to do one at the after party??
  • PWise
    oooooo lobster.....

I'm sure all will be great!!

cheers!
  • :laugh: No biggie.

Talk to you later.

Doug
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    I am unable to shake work,but just wondering how goes the restaurant biz?

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • PWise
    Hey Dale! thanks for asking... all is going well... (I think) haha.. :P I can really say now that working 20hour days is kinda tiring and am gonna probably need some time off soon...

I've got the kitchen working almost at 100% except for a few details I've been having with service issues (dishes come out served inconsitently, etc...). Unfortunatley I cannot be there 100% of the time during service and the daychef apparently hasn't learnt the manual completely so...

Anyways... I think all is going good. We haven't done any publicity or anything and have been full Thursday-Saturday for the last 4 weeks... There's 49 dishes on the menu, 55 wine labels by the glass, almost every other spirit you can think of (probably not, but at least all the popular ones and then some)...

The kitchen is equipped with two XL and am currently working on a leverage/pulley/slideout grill system for the lid/grill but that is in developmental stage still... there's also 6 burners, 1 flattop (thanks LC), 2 immersion circulators, 1 vaccum packer, 1 refrigerated table, 1 salamander and utensils such as pasta roller, vitaprep, robotcoupe, microwave, etc, etc... Sous-vide has been working real well for doneness control and preservation.

I've been wanting to take the time to take pictures and share it all but... well I think you understand hehee...

Cheers!
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Thanks for the update,I know that your food is going to keep customers returning just don't burn yourself out by trying to do everything yourself.Good luck and The wife and I might be in Zihuat in March how far is that from you.?

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Pato...I too, have been wondering how the vew venture was going! Glad to hear it sounds like it is going quite well for you! :);) Consistency in labor is always problematic in this industry! :blink: :pinch: Very frustrating...I know. :( Wishing you the absolute best! Keep us posted! ;)
  • PWise
    Yeah... it's only been 1.5 months out since we opened for public tests so... I guess we're doing allright hehe...

Xihuatanejo only one and a half hour's flight away... nice place... What are the dates?

Cheers!
  • PWise
    Hey Michelle!

I know... It IS, VERY FRUSTATING... most of my "mental capital" goes that way... And you can imagine it frustrates me further to be unable to experiment in the kitchen like I like to...

Hope to have that issue fixed to some degree that eventually I consider "acceptable" soon enough... Anyways... I'm still having fun and the partners are at ease, so I guess all is good hehehe...

Cheers!
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Pato that all sounds great! being self employed takes a lot. it is a 23 hour a day job as I even found work in my dreams LOL hang in there and like Michelle said it is hard to find help that is going to do it like you do. your mind will multitask doing the next five jobs while help is just doing one thing at a time and thinking what they will get paid for it. then they look at the menu and see that you charge for it and have no idea the cost involved besides them and the food. PLEASE do pics as soon as you have time :) we would all love to see them. best wishes :)
  • Mocha daiquiri bread with an espresso glaze.

Possibly a sous vide roast finished with an Egg smoke-sear. Still undecided which meat to use, however.