Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I think I found beef nirvana

Options
StoicDude
StoicDude Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I got a couple of questions that I hope you will be able to answer.
The university here in Reno has their agriculture department, and they have beef, lamb and pork that they keep at the local facility and slaughter regulraly.
Their prices are very good, and they primarily have grass fed beef, which to me tastes a bit better.
I don't want to start that debate, so I am just mentioning it.
I asked the manager if they could dry age meats and he said that would be no problem. About $8 a pound for a whole slab of ribeyes or ny strip. Any suggestions for this? He asked me if they should leave the bone in for aging or not. I was not sure, but need the bone removed prior to carving it myself. He said eitherw ay is fine.
I picked up a brisket from them and that thing is huge.
It's 9.2 lbs!
The only bad thing about it, it was frozen. I was planning to make it tomorrow, but I don't think it will defrost on time.
It doesn't even fit in my fridge :ohmy: .
I ususally deforst my steaks and other thing is my fridge's defrost drawer, but this one is too big.
Any danger in leaving it out at room temperature to defrost?
It's not my preferred method and have never done it before, but wanted to see what you guys have to say.
Thank you.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    if the brisket is vac sealed than put it in the sink in cold water. it should thaw enough that you can at least fold it some to get it in the frig before bed time :)and then it can finish thawing.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    StoicDude

For the brisket, I would get it on the counter now, see how it is before you go to bed...if it is still ice cold and substantially frozen leave it if it isn't put it in the fridge for the night. It won't hurt anything if it is still a bit frozen in the middle when you cook, providing you are doing it low and slow.
    I like bone in ribeye personnally but it should cost a bit less than boned.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• StoicDude
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ll just leave it out. We ll see how it is later.