Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it ever too cold to egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering.. I got my egg in June and haven't had it in cold yet.... [p]I did a butt the other night and the weather was clear but the overnight low was probably in the low 30's. Had no real problems... woke up at 7am wiuth the egg chugging along at 225....[p]

Comments

• Nardi, Some nut from Alaska posted a photo last week of a thermometer in his yard that read MINUS 40. Now all things are relative, but I'd say that's too cold. Maybe not for the egg, but you'd die trying to retrieve your food.[p]p.s. The nut remark wasn't meant to be personal. It actually applies to everyone who lives where it gets that cold. They don't even sell thermometers that go that low in Philly.

• Petear, I just realized the 40 below posting was on another web site.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Nardi,
    i went against elder ward's fire-building specs the other day by hurriedly dumping a bag of royal oak into the BGE during the height of a snowstorm (we got 21 inches officially). it was 25 or so degrees and 25 to 30 mile-an-hour winds.[p]went lo-and-slo all night, got out of bed ONCE (4:30 am) to find the egg pegged at 200 degrees (which is what i set it at when i went to bed), and there was the slightest encroachment of a snowdrift creeping towards my lower vent.
    i brushed it back with my hand and hit the sack.[p]when i woke again for good at 6:30 and peeked out through a snowcovered window, i could barely see the egg. the snow was magically melted away from the gg for about 2 inches all-round. i had to force my door open against the snow and shovel a path to the egg through about 16 inches of snow. when i scraped the ice of the thermometer, the egg was still at 200, and there was a nice chugging bit of smoke coming out the top.[p]i've egged colder, but never in worse conditions.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Nardi,[p]Rain, snow, sleet will not keep the egg from smokin.....