Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE user, have cooked five times. My first try with pizza wasn't a great success. It didn't get crispy. Wife had to put it in the oven. I used the pizza cooking platform that I purchased with the egg. Any suggestions? / Ron

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Ron Costello,
    I assume you are talking about the platesitter and the pizza stone....When I do pizza I place the sitter, legs down and then the stone on top of that. Put them in around 20 minutes before cooking to preheat them. I prefer around 550° some people cook hotter and some cook cooler. It sounds like maybe you didnt pre heat. Give more details of the exact cook and we may be able to offer more advice.[p]Wess

• Ron Costello,[p]What dome temp are you cooking them? I usually go for about 550. I also use a pizza screen on top of the pizza stone. [p]It has been my experience that dome temps higher than 550 tend to brown the top first, and temps lower than 550 brown the bottom first. One advantage to the screen, is that if the bottom isn't done, you can pull the screen out, and quickly brown the bottom.
    [/b]
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Mr. Hyde,[p]Another thing that I haven't seen mentioned is (probably because it is assumed)
    Pre-heat the pizza stone
    A cold stone will keep the bottom cooler as the top heats up.[p]BOB
    94 days left to the Florida Fest

• Mr. Hyde, what's a pizza screen? / Ron[p]
  • Ron Costello,
    You have to pre-heat the stone and slide your pie onto it after it is already hot. You don't need to go to 500 degrees. 400 will work fine. You can get all the crispness you want with a preheated stone.[p]To slide onto a preheated stone you'll need a pizza peel or a sideless cookie sheet.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Ron Costello,[p]As others have said, the dome temp makes a lot of difference. I too use a temp of 500-550°. Also, a good dough recipe (including the type of flour you use, IMO) makes a difference. I'm getting closer to the grail with every attempt. Actually, mine is pretty darn good, for my tastes, it's just that there is alway room for improvement.[p]I'm providing a link to the crust I've been making lately. A couple things I do differently - I add 2 Tbsp gluten to the recipe as well as use King Arthur unbleached all-pupose flour.
  • Ron Costello,[p]It is a metal screen that you make the pizza on, and then transfer the whole pie, on the screen, to the oven (egg). [p]Rather than try to describe it, I will try to post a link to a picture on Fante's website, where I got mine.

[/b]
  • Forgot the link[p]Pakak aka Mark
    [ul][li]Pizza Dough[/ul]
  • Mr. Hyde,[p]I find that I can get a crispy crust before the rest of the pie cooks. I like the cheese to be kind of brown - I guess you would call that a "well done" pizza - and so I put the pizza on the screen at the end of the cook to finish the top without burning bottom. I probably push the envelope on the temps and often find myself at 600 dome. Make sure the stone has plenty of time to pre-heat. A few weekends ago I did 3 pies back to back to back and the third one came the best (1st one burned a little on the bottom - likely due to high temps).[p]Also, using bread flour as opposed to all purpose definitely improves the quality of the dough. I usually get King Arthur, but not always. Oh yeah - make sure your yeast is fresh - they date those packets and if they're out of date the little critters don't get gassy enough to do your dough any good.[p]Good luck![p]JP

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Cornbread Willy,[p]My experience is more like yours - the crust gets done before the top, at higher temps. A NEW trick I've learned is to use FRESH mozzzarella. I recently saw it a Sam's and picked it up to try on pizza. Tastes better AND melts at lower temps, it seems.
  • Ron Costello,[p]I don't cook pizza on the egg..least not since I done found out my Aunt Badelia has her own giant kinda built in pizza cooker what the egg can't compete with..and it sure does make the pizza good..I'll tell you that...though I don't know how somethin so good can come outta somethin that's just gotta be bad as all get out.....but I certainly do understand how the crust comes out so nice'n brown. [p]I really wanted to see how she done makes that Pizza..and how somethin so big as that pizza maker of hers..can make such delicate, delicious, crispy..crusts..but when I asked Uncle Ray bout his wifes pizza maker..he done looked at me like I had a small cranium or somethin...so's I told him that maybe Badelia's been hidin cookin secrets from him..and then he asks me how I knows about Badelias pizza cooker..which is a dog gonned good question..so's I told him...last time Badelia was out to our farm...I seen poppa and grampa watching her from behind..they both had a look on their face of somethin like hunger..I think they was hopin that Badelia was gonna make some pizza right then and there..some menfolks just really love pizza I suppose...and that's when I seen poppa lean over and tell grampa Badelia had one giant but beautiful pizza ass..and they both stood there..a pizza eatin grin on thier faces..and shook their heads..like they didn't need say no more about it..too bad though..cause even tho they all waited..for as long as they could..Badelia never did make no pizza that day.[p]Sometimes Uncle Ray..sure can get mad at little things...I mean after I got done tellin him that..he ran off like you read about..mutterin under his breath..but I yelled to him as he was runnin away..not to be too hard on Badelia..she was prolly just thinkin of a way to break the news to him about her pizza maker..maybe she was afraid if'n he knew about how she had been makin those pizzas..even though they sure were good....he wouldn't eat them pizzas no more.[p]Ahhh..the life of a Stump.[p]StumpBaby
  • StumpBaby,[p]you said pizza ass, heh heh heh.[p]So stumpbaby, it's been awhile. I've recovered now from our last get together. The doc says I'll be fine as long I don't make any sudden moves. [p]Soooo, were you planning on going to the next year's Eggfest? No particular reason for asking. Just got curious, is all.[p]BTW, did you see the pics of you and me on the Eggfest web site?
    At first the pics made me kinda dizzy and all, but the Doc says I'm fine now and everything should be alright.

• char buddy ,[p]Glad to know you're fully recovered...and just in time..cause I do plan on attending the next Eggfest..might even bring back a large egg. I think maybe Log is gonna come with me too..so's I don't hurt myself somethin awful. I got my nice unique hat..corn cob pipe..and teeth..all ready and awaitin.[p]I did see that photo..which..by the way..was hangin on mommas fridge for a good week after that fest (eventually replaced by a picture of poppas giant toenail when it finally fell completely off...thank god...mommas ankles was lookin pretty cut up there...I think maybe they should start sleepin in seperate beds..least of all when poppa starts sheddin his crusty ol yellow toenails in the spring). Momma sure was proud when I showed her that photo of us..and done tol her you was a educated professor..and that we had us a long interestin conversation with the both of us there.[p]I'll be there..at that fest...me and Log...don't know if'n I'm cookin or not..but you sure can plan on me doin some real serious guffaw belly laughin...can't wait..[p]
    StumpBaby[p]

• StumpBaby,[p]oh boy..... oh boy...... oh boy
  • char buddy ,[p]
    That's zactly what I think of everytime I see that photo of us...you sittin there..every now and then ..shakin your head from side to side..and sayin..."wheew..oh boy..wheew...oh boy"[p]Sure wish I could recall zactly what we was talkin bout though...[p]StumpBaby

• StumpBaby,[p]after a couple of Mr. Hyde's cosmopolitan's I don't think I was talking about much of anything. All I could manage was whew, ohhh boy.[p]cb