Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 lb. Brisket flat...

SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had a 5 lb. Brisket Flat on the egg indirect over a platesetter with drip pan at about 240º since approximately 9:30 this morning.
It's got a heck of a bark on it, but it's only about 172º internal and it has shrunk to about the size of a small eye round roast...

It's been a while... do I go till 195º or is it toast already... I usually do full briskets and this flat seems alien to me...?

Thanks for any input you may have!

Cheers...
David

Comments

• I did the same cook yesterday, but cooked at 250, pulled at 195 10 hours later. It was great! Mine looked burnt on the outside but was very tender on the inside. Didnt take pics unfortunately. I read a different post that if you're close to the target temp, wrap in foil with a little beef broth and crank up the heat for an hour or so. Good luck.
  • I would wrap it in some foil and let it finish to 195*. It seems like a long time. I would also add some type of liquid to the foil to keep the flat from drying out. Also bump the temp up to 275 or so and let it get done so you can get some sleep.
  • Thanks Jason,

That's exactly what I did before reading your post! The flat is about 182º internal and wrapped in foil with a half cup of beef stock to keep it company...
    Egg is about 265ºnow.

Cheers
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Have you checked it with a fork to see if it is tender?

I've used the fol wrap from time to time and it usually works well.

When you're all done, you might want to calibrate your dome thermometer to see if it is accurate.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • I didn't want to lose the juices by stabbing it with a fork. I figured it was already a risky cook... but, after the foil and beef stock it came around. A little less than one hour later it was 202º and extremely moist. Had a beautiful bark and smoke ring.
    Turns out it just wasn't big enough!

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never had a scare with a brisket before, but as I said earlier, I usually do a whole brisket, not a flat.

Live and learn.
    Love my Egg!

Cheers Everyone!