Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter Lump

Options
Brokersmoker
Brokersmoker Posts: 646
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Being a rookie, I have no idea of how much lump to load in for the winter, heck, I am still on my eggnaugural bag that came with the package from Indy Egg Fest (don't br too hard on me 12 days of that were spent on a cruise ship in Alaska). Currently in reserve is 1 20lb bag of BGE, 5 10 lbs of Royal oak, 4 bags of Kingsford Charwood, and 3 bags of the local Kroger brand. Local grocer called and told me when they were marking down to 50% so I bought them out. If I run out can you still find it somewhere or should I take some more out of the local Walmart stock, they have about 1.5 pallets left.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Well, it obviously depends on how frequently you will be using your Egg. Sounds like you have plenty, though. Wal*mart seems to stock in seasonally, but grocery stores seem to carry it more consistently through the year. You might ask Kroger if they know whether or not they will be getting it during the winter and if not, can they order it. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have similar concerns. Living in New England, it's often difficult to find what NE folks perceive as "warm weather" products in winter. Instant iced tea, for example... and charcoal.

Last week, I bought 80 lbs of RO lump at walmart and have used about 25 lbs so far!! Plus the two 20 lb bags that came with my egg! Bought my egg on 8/18!! And yes, I have been shutting the egg down when done and then reusing the lump except for hi-temp cooks. Unless I change my ways, the 50+ lbs I have left won't last me til Thanksgiving, much less Spring!

Does acehardware.com sell Frontier lump all year long? Buy online, free shipping to local store.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chef Charles
    Options
    I'm lucky ... the Rona store up the street carries Maple Leaf all winter long :):) .

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Where are you in New England?
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I'm in the Hartford area.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    You might want to look into getting a quantity of Wicked Good Charcoal since you live up there. Frontier charcoal wasn't all that great: Review of Frontier
    The Naked Whiz
  • EggheadOwl
    Options
    Instant iced tea? Oh the horror! Unless you don't have a small pot for making tea or can't find tea in the grocery store, why on earth would you use instant iced tea!? :) LOL

Tea Recipe:

Tetley or Louizana Iced Tea Bags
    Water
    Pot
    Stove

Place 2-4 tea bags in small pot of water( 1/2 qt. will do, but it's not important exactly how much water you use at this stage)

Turn up the heat and bring it to a boil.
    Empty water into pitcher.
    ( If you want stronger tea, or to get the most from each tea bag - fill the pot again and boil water again in it.)

Then, add hot water until you have tea the strength you like - more water = weaker tea.

Then, ADD SUGAR to the tea to taste. If you're out west or in border-yankee-land, that'd probably be a 1/2 cup per pitcher( depending on size of the pitcher.) If you're in the Deep South, first consider yourself blessed! :) Then, add about 2 cups of Dixie Crystal sugar to the pitcher( unless it's a big ole' 2 gallon pitcher or you're usin Momma's #3 washtub for a family reunion batch of sweet tea - then use a pound or so. ;) )

Then STIR!

The kicker is that the longer it sits in the fridge, the sweeter it'll get! Mmmmmm.Mmmmm.

Instant tea is like instant potatoes. Sure, it's faster.....but any egghead should know that faster does not always = better! :)

( on a side note, I've always wanted to mail things around from different parts of the country. Like, I send you some grits and you send something back from you're part of the USA....but no one ever takes me up on it - maybe everyone is afraid of a little ole grit!? I dunno! :) )
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks, but I've never seen Wicked Good (though it does sound Mass-like :) and that's about 20 miles away). Never even HEARD of it til I signed on here. I've seen the Frontier review, but any port in a storm I guess.

Frankly, I'm not all that thrilled with RO. I've opened three bags and 90% of it is about the size of a golf ball or less.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Fresh brewed tea is highly overrated. :) Way more trouble than it's worth, IMHO of course. Hot tea I brew fresh, but when I'm in the mood for iced tea, I want it NOW! :) Sweet tea? Used to like it, but years ago when I moved from NC to CT, where it's as foreign as grits, I sort of lost interest.

Speaking of grits, I imagine that's the reason you can't get anyone to take you up on your regional trade offer. How can you EAT that stuff?! :sick: :laugh:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled (lump) programming.....

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Check out the Wicked Good Website. They have retail outlets in the NE, and you can always get pallet shipped if you want to go big time.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cool! Not only is Wicked Good in Holyoke MA (with a name like that, they HAD to be in Mass!), about 30 miles away, but they have a retail outlet almost on my way to work. Haven't been there in awhile, but as I recall, they're a big Weber dealer.

Only problem with buying a product from Mass is - they're probably Red Sox fans! B)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut