Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice?

Options
ATX
ATX Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Crashed out at 12:30 last night. Egg was chuggin along at 250. Brisket temp was 160. Woke up this morning and Egg temp had fallen to 150, brisket temp 140. Got the fire back up, but am wary about the brisket. This thing still good to eat or am I in botulism country? Thanks ya'll.

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I think you're OK. Most people here seem to agree that a grid temp of 140 or below for more than 4 hours could cause problem. You were just above that.

Let's see what others have to say.

You might consider getting a remote thermometer. I use the Maverick ET-73 and keep it next to my bed during overnight cooks. I check it a few times during the night and don't have to get out of bed unless there is a problem. It has alarms which you can set to go off if it goes outside a range. It has 2 probes - one for the meat and one for the grid. Costs about $40 plus shipping at a number of places on the internet.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Options
    Thanks man. I'll have to look into one of those. Funny thing is that I set my clock radio alarm to go off at 3am to check on the fire and slept right through it, even with the wife yellin', elbowin' & kickin' me! Haha.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    This is about the best price I have ever seen on the ET 73 as suggested by Shiff.

http://www.ikitchen.com/maresmth.html?CS_003=740477&CS_010=maresmth

Good Luck,
    Bordello
    Oh, I have never ordered from them just so you know.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    That is a great price.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA