Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little recipe help please

Weekend Warrior
Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a recipe that calls for "2 cups oyster crackers, crushed" My question is, do you measure 2 cups of whole oyster crackers and then crush them which would leave you less than 2 cups by volume or do you really want 2 cups of crushed oyster crackers? :blink: I hate it when stupid stuff like this holds me up cooking. Grrrr. :angry: Thanks in advance. Mark

Comments

• MtnBlue
    MtnBlue Posts: 109
    I can understand your confusion. Given the way it is written I would guess they mean to measure out 2 cups of crackers and then crush them. I would still pay close attention to how the recipe was turning out to see if maybe I guessed wrong. I would have an extra box of crackers standing by in case I needed to add more.

Good luck!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey Mark,,, I would think that meant 2 cups of crushed crackers
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Two cups of crackers, crushed then measured.
  • Mark,

My take is that all recipes are just guidelines that you can adjust as you see fit unless you are baking which needs to be more exact. I don't think it will make a big difference in the outcome.

For dry ingredients, I would crush the crackers and then measure 2 cups. If you're putting whole crackers into a measuring cup, chances are you're counting volume which is just air depending on the size of the crackers and the shape of your measuring cup.

Judy
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    It's not going to make that much of a difference anyway.
  • hahaha. The jury seems to be out on this one. Thanks to you all for responding. The recipe is for stuffed mushrooms, so I'm going to measure and then crush. I'd like a little more crabmeat than oyster crackers in the stuffing anyway. Thanks Again All! Mark

PS. Rod, the shipment will go out next week. I'll advise. It's been a hectic week. Mark
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Good Luck Mark, sounds Delish.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    The way it is written, it is definitely two cups of crackers that are crushed after measuring -- regardless what the person intended.

Most recipes are not that sensitive, but some are -- baking, for example. The classic difference is in sifter flour, because this makes an important difference:

"Two cups of flour, sifted" is different than "two cups of sifted flour".
  • What BobS said.

As written, it's two measured cups of whole oyster crackers, which are then crushed.

A crush-first version would be written as

"Two cups crushed oyster crackers."

Measuring, then crushing, will give you less total cracker bits than crushing then measuring would. The smaller particles will pack more and give more cracker bits in a measured volume, whereas larger/whole pieces include more air in a given measured volume.
  • I read that as “crushed crackers”…But the only person that REALLY knows is the one that wrote the recipe!!!
    No matter, and for what ever it may be worth, I see recipes as a guide line.
    I really don’t think that it will may much difference.