Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MORE PIZZA HELP NEEDED

Options
NJ-Professor
NJ-Professor Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1-Made a few beauties but down by the bottom crust their was a distinct sour taste. Any idea what it can be and how it can be prevented in the future?

2-Sliding the pizza off a peel, regardless of how much flour is sprinkled on it, is a drama. Any suggestions for a quick transfer from peel to stone?

3-Any decent (read easy) recipes for focaccia?

THANKS

Comments

• civil eggineer
    Options
    1. Make sure you allow the egg to clear out all the VOCs before cooking. Smell the exhaust, if it doesn't smell good...wait longer.

2. Build your pies on parchment paper and leave it under the pie while you cook. Trim paper away from the edges or it will burn. Also make sure there is a small air gap between the platesetter and pizza stone.

Another thing I have better luck is cooking my pizza's at 400 dome temp for around 1/2 hour. I try higher temps and they only result in burnt crusts or uneven crust cooking.

3. Can't help!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    You can build your pie on top of some parchment paper then put it on the peel and will never have a problem of sliding it off on to the stone. The sour taste is something that has never come up before.Did you make your dough?If so you could have gotten a lump of yeast that did not dissolve.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    You don't use flour to transfer. Use corn meal or parchment paper.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep. I have always used corn meal. When my dough is ready (I use flour for that), I spread a thin layer of corn meal on my plain old wooden peel and spread it around. Then I put the dough on the peel and build the pizza. I always jiggle the peel a bit afterwards just to make sure the dough's not stuck. Then, it's off to the egg... or pre-egg, off to the oven. I have never had any trouble sliding it off the peel, or having a pizza stick to the stone.

All that said, I'm really not thrilled with having corn meal on the bottom of my pizzas. I am going to try parchment paper next, though Judy is trying to convince me a screen is the answer. We'll see.

Just don't use flour. The one and only time I tried it... was the one and only time I tried it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I use cornmeal on the peel, and I don't leave the pie sitting on the peel for more than a minute or so without giving it a quick shake to loosen the dough if it has begun to stick.
    The Naked Whiz
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Super Peel ! Wouldn't be without it.
    Eliminates extra flour, corn meal, etc.

http://www.superpeel.com/videos.html