Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

daisy wheel modifications

Options
CDC
CDC Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The daisy wheel didn’t seem to do much to regulate temp. I had to rely on the bottom door for that. [p]I was looking at the wheel and decided to take it apart. I found that the wheel sets around a nipple on the base. My wheel had some casting burs that didn’t allow it to set down around the nipple, leaving it to rest on top of the nipple resulting in a gap, about 1/16 to 1/8 inch all around the wheel. No matter how I adjusted it smoke freely escaped from the egg. After filing off the burs, enlarging the hole of the wheel, it sets snugly on the base and works very well.[p]The other thing I noticed was that the base rested on the radius where the chimney and dome meet. This raised the base so it didn’t set directly on top of the chimney, also allowing smoke and heat to escape from the bottom of the daisy wheel base. I got the trust hack saw out and took about ¼ inch off the bottom of the daisy wheel base. This allowed the base to set directly on top of the chimney, not on the egg's surface. [p]Before modifications the wheel wobbled around on the nipple because of the space between it and the base. The base would rock and slide on the surface of the egg. After modifications everything is resting on flat surfaces and doesn't move around, (except for being able to adjust the wheel). [p]I remember reading some postings about daisy wheels and temp control being difficult, maybe this could help. It did for me.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    CDC,[p]I have noticed that the castings of my daisy and slide/daisy tops do have spru(sp?) marks or casting imperfections that might make the daisy top not the most snuggest of fits. Much of the "slop" is probably built in so that after much cooking at lo & slo the daisy will not clog up and freeze up. Yours may well have been a bit too much though. [p]The daisy top will only allow a max temp of 350-400 deg no matter what the bottom vent does - so it will also hold temps at 250 with the bottom wide open and the dasiy closed. The best way to use the top is to set the bottom vent to a setting with the top wide open (I am assuming you have the daisy and not the slide/daisy) check the dome temp and adjust the top as needed to fine tune the temp. If the top leaks too much, then your correct in it having little effect -- reason #1 why I use the rain cap to snuff out my fire after I cook.[p]Tim
  • CDC
    CDC Posts: 13
    Options
    Tim M,[p]The fit I have now is still lose but the wheel is setting on the base instead of on top of the nipple. The wheel was raised by the height of the nipple. I might as well have not had the wheel on at all. The daisy wheel did limit the temp just by being on the chimney, but that was it. I had to control the temp with the bottom vent.[p]Thanks for the tip on temp control with a working daisy wheel. I’ll put it to good use, now that mine works.[p]CDC[p][p]