Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I try T-Rex Method for Steak?

Kat
Kat Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It hasn't even been a week we've had our large BGE, and tonight we're having guests for dinner. I have nice New York cut steaks to cook on the egg and wondering about the best method for doing it, I've come across the T-Rex method of searing them, setting them aside for 20 minutes and then back on the egg to finish them.

What do you think, have you tried this method or would you suggest another?

Thanks from a newbie egghead :)
Kathy

Comments

• t-rex is the best way to cook a new york steak in my humble opinion, but that is only if the steaks are AT LEAST 1 1/2 inches thick or more. ..any thinner and i just don't believe there is any benefit to be had to the trex method ....if they are thinner than that, simply go with a good hot egg (around 500 degrees) and simply grill them till they are done to your liking, remove them and let them rest for about 5 minutes or so before serving. ...

if they are thick, then t-rex is excellent ....couple of tips though. ..if you are going to go nuclear with your egg, don't make the mistake of getting up to 700 - 800 degrees and then leaving it there for a long period of time . ..that is how you newbies melt gaskets all the time. ... get the egg up to 700degrees plus, throw on the steaks for the requesite 90 seconds per side, then as soon as you take them off for the rest, close down the vents to get the egg down to 400 degrees....you egg shouldn't spend any more than 10 minutes or so in the 700 degree range, thereby saving your gaskets. ..

also, be very, VERY careful when opening your dome to avoid the dreaded flashback!!!. . . if you don't know what i'm talking about go to the naked whiz's website and read all about it before you go doing this!! ...

but yes, its a great way to grill a thick steak and the results are fantastic. . .
  • That is definitely the way to go if your cut is thick enough. My experience has been that if's its not at least an inch and a half thick it will continue to cook so much on the plate that you don't really get the correct result.
  • Kat
    Kat Posts: 46
    Thanks very much! Yes, I do know about flashback and about burned out gaskets. We spent a few months reading on this fine forum before getting our egg. I've always been one who is happy to learn from other's experiences and try to avoid hazards as much as possible. :)

I think tonight I'll be going with standard 500 degrees. Watching the videos on the BGE site, the chef cooks rib eyes at about that temp, throwing them on for two minutes, flipping at two more and then again at another two then he closes down the egg and lets them cook about 5 more.
  • Adding to what Max and GM have said, I'd highly recommend the TRex method, but maybe scaling back on the salt a little or subsituting something like DP Cowlick or Raisin' the Steaks rub. Other than that, the method is just super for a nice, thick NY Strip.
  • I tried the BGE method, too, and found the Trex to be superior. There were times I found the BGE method left ash on my steaks, a product of, I suppose, the sudden choking of air flow.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    don't follow the bge method...i find you get a high charcoal taste from closing down...

just cook to about 5-10 degrees below desired temp at 500 and let rest...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I haven't messed with the t-rexed hassle since I learned the hot-tub method for steaks. They give you the perfect medium rare steak which is warm throughout and uniform in color inside like this.
    IMG_2569.jpg

It's a type of Sous Vide more commonly called Hot Tubbing on this board. At least 1 hour before you plan to egg the steaks submerge each one in a tightly sealed plastic bag into a container of hot water from the tap. The desired temp of the water should be checked from time to time during the hour and should be over 100 degrees. I find my tap water runs about 125 degrees. I also find that I have to change the water at least 3 to 4 times in that hour.

In the meantime fire up your BGE and stabilize at 650 to 700 degrees dome. Unwrap the meat and quickly place on the grill for a mere 2 minutes per side and the cooking is done!

The same method will work for a thick prime rib as well - pink, but not bloody though the length of time is longer.
    IMG_0493-1.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    From one egg noob to another, the first steak I did on the egg was a TRex'd 1 1/2" NY Strip. Weighed about a pound. It was THE best steak I have ever cooked.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Agree all the way! TRexing gives you the best grill marks, and a fantastic crust of whatever you shake on the meat before the sear. Try it next time!

IMG_5492.jpg
  • I'm late to the party. Pick up a large egg tomorrow. Have had excellent result with steak on my Brinkman, and anxious to do a rib steak on the new Egg. What is the T-rex method?
    thanks
  • T Rex all the way. I did a London broil tonight using the TREx and it was great.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The TRex method is described here. Poke around on the site too. Lots more good stuff.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks Carolina Q,
    Been to the NakedWhiz, just hadn't made it to the T-rex method. Appreciate the help, will give it a try this weekend on the new BGE