Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Low and Slow Pork Shoulder

Options
Willie
Willie Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying my first long low and slow cook.If I have to add more lump, will I have to wait for the smoke to stop before adding to meat again. Or can I add more lump, and immediately put the pork back on the grid?
Thanks for any help.
Willie

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Willie,

You won't need to add lump. Fill to the top of the firering and you will be good to go.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Willie
    Willie Posts: 132
    Options
    Steve,
    Thanks for the encouragement, I did that but not sure it will last all the way through. I also had maybe a quarter of used in the bowl.Here's hoping all goes well.
    Have a great weekend.
    Willie
  • Little Chef
    Options
    Willie...You shouldn't need to add more lump. A full, fresh load of lump, fill to the fire-ring, and you will be all set. ;) Remember, try not to over shoot your target temp too much. It's a lot harder to bring the temp down for a low-n-slow than it is to kick it up a little. ;) Happy Eggin'! :)
  • Matt_inSC
    Options
    I'm a newbie but to answer your question I believe you can put the meat right back on - if you need to add more lump. I've done a couple butts and the last one was 9lbs and I added lump two times during the smoke. Not sure I needed to add but I think it was getting low.
    I pulled the grid (w/ meat), added the lump and put it right back on and fidgeted with vents to get it back up to temp.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    If you had a stable temp for several hours, the last thing you want to do is fiddle with the vents after having it open. Its called chasing the temp and it can be frustrating. If the vents were set for the temp you want just close the lid and walk away, the temp will go back to where it was before. -RP
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Willie,

Trust Little Steven's advice -- he had four butts going at the recent Nieggara Fest without reloading lump. Now if he could only learn to not pull them at 185 :ermm:

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Just make sure you have a rock-steady 250 degrees BEFORE you put your meat on. Check the cook at least twice during the night and DON'T throw any meat away because you think you screwed it up before checking with us. ;) :laugh: Mark
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    I agree with no need to add. I've went 24 hours before at 250 and had lump left. I've had my egg for going on 2 years now and have cooked hundreds of pounds of pork and have never had to add. Make sure your dome therm is calibrated and go for 250 dome. Get the temp at 250 for about 30 to 45 min before adding the meat. When you add the meat, shut the lid and walk away for an hour or two. Don't start "figeting" with the settings. If you do, you will be up most of the night chasing that egg all over. Good luck and post back any other questions you may have. Remember- to the top of the firering with lump.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Tom,

It was five. I thought I had two eggs but MaXim took over one and I needed to do biryani :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, if you do have to add lump for whatever reason ... (you didn't start ewith enough lump, the brand you used burned too fast, or maybe your fire just went out on it's own), move the butt into a 250° oven. Then size up the situation, and don't get in a hurry:

**If you only have a few hours left on the cook, you might just as well finish it off in the oven. Then you wont be moving a hot grate, plate setter and a full drip pan.

**If you are in the middle of a cook, carefully take the grate, setter and pan out, then add some new lump and get it going again, add the setter, pan and grate. Wait 45 minutes or an hour and put the butt back on.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery