Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked turkey

MAC
MAC Posts: 442
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for smoking turkey. How long per pound and at what temperature?

Comments

• Mac, What timing! I just put a 8 lb turkey breast in my BGE 20 minutes ago. I brine it for 24 hr (recpe below), this really, really makes a big difference. I put it on my chicken sitter and sit the whole thing in a disposable aluminum pan. Then I smoke it at 225-250* over pecan wood until the Polder hits 165*. At about 140*, I kick the BGE up to about 350* to get the skin nice and crisp. Time will vary, and never did a whole turkey, just the breast. Usually takes mine about 45 min/lb.
    Brine---Per 1 gal H20: 1 cup Kosher salt (if your are using iodized salt, cut by half, or go out and get the good stuff), 1.5 cups sugar (I use turbinado because I use it in rubs as it handles the heat better--but brown sugar would be OK), 5 Bay leaves (I like imported from Turkey rather than domestic), 3 cloves crushed garlic, and 10-20 tellecherry peppercorns. Brine overnite and smoke over your favorite wood-

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Mac,[p]There are several routes to a good smoked turkey. Jim's technique is great; I'm also a brining enthusiast & won't do poultry without it anymore. [p]I like to do turkey at 325-350 dome. Figure roughly 15 minutes per pound, but check the meat's internal temp (160 in the breast). Let the bird sit for at least 1/2 hour before carving.[p]Cathy
  • Cat said: "I'm also a brining enthusiast & won't do poultry without it anymore."
    Mee tooo! Try cooking your whole brined birds past the 200 degree thigh temp. It's magical! [p]

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    King-O-Coals,[p]No one's more zealous than a previous skeptic who's seen the light. ;-}[p]Cathy