Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tough prime rib

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is a little resturant near my house that serves smoked prime rib it is the best prime rib that I have tasted anywhere.
SO being the proud owner of a large bge I said to myself-self you can do this thing.
So I went to the local butcher not wally world or albertsons but to a for real meat market. bought a 3 bone best that they had prime rib roat.Stuck it in a baggie drownded it in french onion soup, stuck it in the fridge for 24 hours, took it out let it warm up on the counter for about an hour and a half, rubbed it down with lots o salt and black pepper, threw it on a 900 deg egg seared it good on all sides,
(about 2-3 minutes per side all six sides, I got nice grill marks on the flat sides of the meat.
The I took the meat out of the egg stuck it in a igloo and covered with alum. foil.
I shut the egg down to 250 added a chunk of hickory, the dusted the rib all over with my dry rub and stuck him back in the egg where he staid until center hit 135 by my trusty remote.(verified with an analog quick read)
pulled him off the egg let him rest on the cutting board loosely covered with aluminum foil for about 30 min.(internal rose to 142)
carved it and it was tough. It was edible but not good. realy disapointed. Glad I didnt try it for turkey day. can any one help me with my method and set up ????
by the way I used an inverted place setter with a drip pan in the middle of the upright legs, with a little beef broth th keep the drippings from burning, the grate was ontop of the legs and the rib was on the grate( basic indirect set up)
help if you can
thanx Glenn

Comments

• glenn,I have been cooking on the EGG for 10yrs and always cook a rib roast & turkey for both Christmas & Thanksgiving.
    I don't know what you did wrong , but I can tell you how I get the best results.I have cook with both the bone in and have got my butcher to remove the bone . This removes some of the fat and makes the Ladies happy. This year I cooked a 14 lb boneless prime roast split in half.I soaked it over night in small ammounts of olive oil,red wine vineger , worcestershire sauce , salt and pepper. I heated the egg to 450'and also used a small ammount of hickory chips.I let the EGG go back to 325 and with a remote cook till internal temp of 135. Served 17 hungery people(along with a 25lb pecan smoked turkey) and all I had left was the strings .

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    glenn,
    I dont see where you did anything out of the norm...it should have been fine the way you described it. The only thing I can say ( and its a cop out) is it musta just been that particular piece of meat. If the next one comes out disappointing then I would get concerned.[p]Wess

• glenn,[p]I am by no means an expert, however I have had better luck not searing at the beginning of the cook if I am interested the smoke. It is my understanding that smoke does not penetrate the meat after 135 degrees as the meat "seals up". By searing first, I think I am defeating the purpose of adding wood and my experience has been that the exterior can even get a bit bitter if I seal first and add too much smoke as the smoke layers on the surface of the meat during the cook. I generally cook meat like this at 250 or so from the beginning with light smoke if any, then sear at the end. I now have the luxury of two ceramic cookers so I can cook at 250 on one and then do a quick sear on the BGE at high heat. ChuckE
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    glenn,[p]Like the others have said, I'm not sure what you did wrong, if anything. Just out of curiousity, how long did the roast take to get to 135 internal? About 3 hours or so?[p]I hate to say it but sounds like maybe you just got a bad hunk of meat. It happens sometimes - it's just unfortunate that it happened to you on such a large (and I imagine quite expensive) piece of beef.[p]Nevertheless, don't be discouraged. Try another one soon![p]By the way, here is how I've done my prime ribs in the past:
    [ul][li]Prime rib[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    Options
    TRex,[p]Very nice! I'm gonna have to try it.[p]I'm working on some ABT's right now and enjoying the blue skies and 60 degree weather.[p]It's getting close to Beer O'Clock.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    TRex,
    I just talked to your Dad at Publix Super market.
    Larry

• glenn, when I cook an expensive piece of meat for a special occasion dinner, I put out a few more bucks and buy aged CAB, and am never disappointed. It appears that your method was OK.

• TRex
    Options
    Larry,[p]That's funny - y'all always seem to run into each other at Publix. Today is the old man's birthday, by the way. He must have been buying some steaks.[p]Hope all is well in Augusta.[p]Jason
  • TRex
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]This is the time of year that makes SE Texas a great place to live (weather-wise). I did no cooking today, but was out and about enjoying the weather.[p]How's that Wicked Good charcoal working for ya? Wife and I are moving into our house shortly before Christmas - it will be about time to set up a permanent camp for the Eggs![p]TRex