Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Wood Prices

Options
shubydoobydo
shubydoobydo Posts: 115
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
Hello All,

I went to home depot and priced their wood. Here are the different kinds of wood that I am considering: Redwood, cedar, whitewood, pine radiata. Anyone work with these? What are your suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Options
    I used cedar.But I didn't get it at Home Depot or Lowes because their wood here looked like crap.So I went to a lumber yard and got 1x4s, 2x4s and 4x4s smooth on three sides.
    I like the color of the wood and grain.I think I spent $140-170.And had some left over.Cheaper than redwood.Good luck with your table!
    Here's a couple of pic.
    P1010110.jpg
    P1010109.jpg
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree with Serial Griller. Find a saw mill or lumber yard close by you will get much better wood at a much better price. I have a saw mill about 20 miles away and got more than enough Cypress to build my table for under $100. All top grade wood with no knots. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When I was in college, I took an Archirectural model building class. on the first assignment I cranked it out completing the assignment in record time. the teacher came around to personally inspect our projects and find out how long it took. After this he announced that everyone had done a good job and something along the lines of "the quality of everyone's final product clearly shows how much time they put into it".

Moral: you want it to come out good, not fast.

I spent $135 in wood on my table
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    cedar and redwood are very weather/rot resistant but still need to be sealed to retain their color. They will turn black/grey otherwise. Other two will rot if left exposed to the elements.
    Capt Frank B)
  • Picaron
    Options
    I am remodeling my 110-year-old house and just found some rough-sawn cedar 2x4s that could be interesting. Perhaps planed down, maybe rough--I haven't figured it out yet. Any thoughts on sealers? I have used sealers (Thompson's) on my redwood deck, and the wood turned gray anyway. Polyurethane sounds good, but I don't know how sensitive it may be to heat.