Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Egg Help

Options
Right.Brainer
Right.Brainer Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello from Philadelphia.
Mayday:[p]We've got several inches of snow since Friday. Remembering NJ-Chuck's advice when I bought my egg, I shoveled out to the egg first. Unfortunatley, the top of the unit is frozen shut. I seem to remember an earlier call for CAUTION when trying to free things up. Will someone please advise.[p]Regards.[p]Right Brainer

Comments

• toomanybbqgrls
    Options
    right.brainer,
    If you have a starter cube, open your ash door, put inside and light it. You could also use a mapp torch to light the charcoal from/thru the ash door. I would not recommend prying a putty knife at the gasket. Take the cap off when lighting from the bottom.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    right.brainer,[p]Yup, a common malady in snow country. If "top of the unit" means the dome, here's a couple a solutions:[p]Assuming there is still some lump in the Egg, insert a firestarter in the lower intake and light to get the lump started from beneath. This will thaw the gaskets in a short time. Also, if you have a "trouble light" with cord, use a 100 watt bulb in it and stick it down the chimney. The heat will eventually melt the ice.[p]K~G
  • right.brainer,[p]This is common in the colder weather and there are several methods to get it open but don't pry with a screwdriver or you will chip or break the cooker.[p]Best way is to start a fire in it thru the lower vent if you have some remaining charcoal in the cooker. I use a Weber fire cube and light it and then place it thru the vent and right under the grid.[p]Another method is to ball up some newspaper and light it and force it thru the top vent hole. Usually takes 6-7 balls of paper to get it thawed out and is messy as it leaves a lot of ash.[p]Another method is to drop a trouble light down the top vent and then cover the vent so the heat won't escape. This takes a lot longer than the above methods but will work. [p]Good luck,[p]Dave

• Right.Brainer
    Options
    Kenny G
    Old Dave
    Toomany[p]Thanks for your replys.
    Once again, this is a real community forum.[p]RB

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    right.brainer,
    This is a good thread to point out the fact that in the colder months you do NOT want to leave your egg with no lump in it. I had mine freeze shut once and when I finally got it thawed there was less than a handful of lump in it. Any less and I probably wouoldn`t have gotten it open. After I`m done cooking I try to make sure there is enough lump left that if I need to de-freeze I got something in there to burn..[p]Wess

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    right.brainer,
    It happened to me on Thanksgiving. just took my Mapp torch and went around the circumference and it was opened quickley with no harm. The turkey was great, too.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    right.brainer,
    You need a hammer to get it open!!!
    [/b]