Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big it is!! // Another question.

Options
J.Y. Porkchop
J.Y. Porkchop Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks so much for the feedback to my question about the best size BGE. Well big it is. While I am at the store are their any suggestions as to any absolutely must have accessories. And whats up with that top which comes as an accessory is that worthwhile?

Comments

• J.Y.Pork Chop,
    If you get no other eggcessory, at very least get the daisy wheel slide top, it really should be std equipment.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    pivotizer,[p]I agree and would say an even more important item would be the dome thermometer. Those should both be standard equipment on the Egg.[p]I would also add a grid lifter or to have a plan for removing the grid.[p]The last have to have in my op. is a bag of lump.[p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,[p]Don't know if they have it where you're buying your BGE but - I think a meat thermometer is a *must* have. I use a Polder even though there are problems with it, they are through my misuse. Also, so far as what model, I have the simplest one - only one probe attached to a cable, not a remote pickup. List price is about $30, I think, but you should be able to get it a bit less than that if you live in a fairly decent sized town.

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,
    I would recommend immediately getting in touch with Lawn Ranger and get one of his finely hand crafted, multi-task grid lifters.....

[ul][li]Lawn Ranger's Profile[/ul]
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,
    I would price shop, some places sell each item separate some will give you a package deal and you may save some $ that way.[p]My eggs sit on my concrete patio, many have them in a nest or have bought or built a table for them.[p]Needed:
    Daisy wheel top,
    Temp. gauge,
    grid lifter or something from the garage you can use,
    ash tool,
    Lump charcoal,[p]Accessories:
    BGE Plate setter,
    BGE Pizza stone,
    Grill extender,
    Remote Polder thermometer (single or dual probe)[p]Other may have more suggestions.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,
    Sorry.....didn't do that correctly!

[ul][li]OOPS!! Here is his site[/ul]
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,
    Platesetter for sure. Also, contact the Lawn Ranger and order a Grid Lifter...AWESOME! Plus they look pretty sweet with your name on them. You can also ask for a Thermapen for Christmans...that is what I am doing, and if anyone wants to send one to me I would be very thankful...hint..hint...lol. Enjoy your egg, it will be one of the best investments you have ever made....[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,
    Daisy wheel is a must, should be included. Placesetter for low and slow, ribs and pulled pork.[p]CWM

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,
    a lot of stores will sell a 'package', including daisy wheel, ash rake, nest, dome temp thermometer, and bag of bge lump. . .i would say that these are your 'basic' needs. . .the other thing you really want is a "plate setter". . .you will be amazed how often you use it. . .

• tn slagamater
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop, some BGE dealers charge extra for the daisy wheel top and/or temperature guage as a way to charge more than they should be charging. These items come with the egg and are included to the dealer with each egg shipped. See if there is another dealer in your area...

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    J.Y.Pork Chop,[p]I'd say one of the tops would be nice. If you don't get one, though, you can technically control the temps using the bottom vent alone or you can jury rig something in a pinch (like put tin foil over part of the chimney or a fire brick to partially restrict airflow).[p]The Egg nest is nice if you're not building a table.[p]Lump and smoking wood would be nice. I've used peopleswoods.com in the past with good success.[p]Some firestarters would help. You could use newspaper, but it's ashy and more trouble.[p]One nice item which I'm very likely to buy myself for Christmas in the next day or two is this BBQ Forum special at hawgeyesbbq.com (hope that url is right) which is $65 and includes shipping and a nice assortment of rubs and sauces including one from this forum's own dizzy pig bbq.[p]Finally, if you're getting a grid lifter, I'd consider contacting the Lawn Ranger here. He makes these really cool ones. I haven't bought my own yet, but I've had a friend's lifter on loan for the past several weeks. This thing rules! Very sturdy, and you always end up finding new uses for it. If someone gets too close to that last rib, I pick up the lifter and watch them scatter lest I club them.[p]Good luck,
    Cornfed

• J.Y.Pork Chop,
    I say you should get a plate setter. You will soon be reading lots of recipies that call for indirect cooking and the plate setter is the best way to do that.[p]I bought loads of accessories and the cart and plate setter are the only must haves in my opinion (I need the cart so I have a place to put all my stuff when I cook).

• tn slagamater,[p]I am not so sure this is true. I purchased both my Eggs in Atlanta at the factory store and paid extra for both the daisy and the temp gauge on both cookers. Maybe I paid too much and wonder if you can tell me just what is included in the standard package and tell me where I can find it on the web. [p]Dave

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Old Dave, check your e-mail... Merry Christmas