Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stocking up for winter

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As it gets into fall here, it's become a lot harder to find lump in the stores. Last year I didn't have a problem, but this year, the supermarket, Home Despot, etc. are all out or running low. So yesterday, I took a drive out to Wicked Good's distribution center, and now have my winter supply safely stashed in my barn.

3948001124_6ea66cd4b6.jpg

Time to start cooking. :)

-John

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, talk about running out. I went to one place, and got their last 20 lbs. of lump. Makes me nervous. At least WG is available via mail order. I envy your proximity to their distribution.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    I'm not sure what's up this year. Last year, our local Whole Foods had their store brand lump all winter, and I actually liked it. If they were ever out, I could grab some Cowboy from Home Despot. This year though, WF stopped selling their store brand lump in early summer, switched to another brand, and didn't reorder any when they sold it out. I went to HD last week, and they had two bags of Cowboy held together with packaging tape, and the manager said they weren't ordering any more till spring. My Egg dealer is about 20 miles away, and overcharges for lump, so that isn't a great option either.

I'm looking forward to trying out my WGC this weekend. Being close to the distribution is great - the cost comes out to $6.31 / 11lb bag, with no sales tax, since their offices are in Maine, and I'm in MA, and I ordered online. I've been paying $6.99 + tax locally for 8.8 lb bags of Cowboy or whatever. 1/4 tank of gas and $5 in tolls, and I have enough to last at least through the winter, if not into next summer.

-John
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Glen, you have mail. Mark
  • Hatch
    Hatch Posts: 149
    Options
    The bbq guru is carrying wg at their store in Warminster Pa
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    :woohoo: Now I feel better about my winter stash,
    I have 88-lbs of Of Wicked Good, 100-lbs of Royal Oak and 120-lbs of Ozark Oak :P
  • Long Legged Egger
    Options
    Comfortable feeling isn't it?

IMG_0463.jpg
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    That should hold you for a few months
  • sebring96hbg
    Options
    And I thought I was stocking up big time when I got four 10# bags of Wegman's Lump for just under $23. Was I wrong. :laugh:
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    It is a little out of the way for me coming from the south shore, but I had been thinking of going to the center....I was getting the 11lbs for 7.50 but my place is going up...maybe I'll talk to them about just getting me a whole pallet at cost and I'll give them what I would've spent in gas....
  • Thanks for the tip, Hatch. I had no idea the BBQ Guru had a store in Warminster...very close to where I live. My husband will be thrilled that I am probably going to spend more money on Egg stuff. HA HA. No complaints when dinner rolls around though.