Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie preventing flashback

Options
Kroger
Kroger Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm reading up on flashback on these forums and Naked Whiz's site. Just want to make sure I'm on the right track to prevent this if possible.

I know that it can happen at lower temps as well as the higher temps, so should I just open up the lid with the same procedure each time?

- open bottom vent all the way
- open top
- wait 5-10 seconds
- slowly open the lid

Seems like a lot to go through each and every time but I'm a safety first kinda guy and I don't want to burn my house down ;)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    to tell the truth, i just open a quarter to half inch for a second or two and then open, never worrying about the vent settings. i do have the egg burning for a while before opening to start the cook. the flashbacks have been minor for me doing this, occasionally some arm hair, not the full kaboom ive seen others have :laugh: i do wear gloves if steam may be involved though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    the big flashbacks usually occur when you have been at high temps for a while, then have choked down the egg. opening it again shortly after choking down will cause it to flashover when the air hits it.

it can also happen when you have added a lot of lump to an established fire, and open the lid a short time after. the VOCs and dust in the new lump and the heated air, lit coals... all that will cause a flash when you open it. but rarely does anyone add a lot of new lump to a hot fire. if you do multiple pizzas back to back to back you might need to add lump.

it can also happen when you have a really full firebox, filled with new lump, but are only cruising along at 350, 400. the dust and VOCs haven't been burnt or driven off yet.

i don't mess with the vents. if i suspect a flashback is coming based on the above, i just lift the lid an inch or so until i hear the "fwoomp".

doesn't happen very often, usually the problem isn't caused by opening the lid with my right hand, it's the beer in my left hand that is at fault
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I have to wear a firefighters helmet and face shield to protect my eyebrows. It's a short thing :blush: :laugh:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    I don't believe in burping the egg, creating small flashbacks, as this is not good for your gasket. I don't know if the nomex gasket is affected by little flashbacks, but the felt ones were.

I only go through the vent thing, though, if I've been cooking hot, or if there is a lot of new lump in the fire and the airflow through the charcoal isn't so great. Flashbacks aren't really that dangerous and they won't set your house on fire, but you will learn with time when to expect them. Old (previously burned) lump and lower temps usually won't create them. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    :(
    I be shorter then you but at times it's a good thing. Like giving the ladies a big hug. :whistle::lol: :silly: :woohoo:

Could not help myself.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Little Steven
    Options
    The shorter the better there :evil:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeOrFire
    Options
    If you are a safety first kinda guy and are worried about burning the house down with a flashback, then move the grill away from the house!
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    well. being short has an upside. you can grill pantsless :blink:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    But watch out for squirrels! :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    And the lower vent :pinch:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• just remember if your nose to nose your toe is in it.
    if your toe to toe your nose is in it.
    either way works fine :woohoo: :evil: