Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grillmeister...Egg Transporter Crate?

Options
bigmikej
bigmikej Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried the link below and it no longer works. I am going to try and build one this afternoon and need the measurements for the small egg.[p]Thanks![p]Mike

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    bigmikej,
    The 2 sheets of plywood are 20x20x3/4, the hole is 15 1/2 inches, and the 2x4`s were 10 1/2 or 10 1/4....I`m going from memory here....[p]Wess

• GrillMeister
    Options
    bigmikej,[p]The thread was just archived. Here's the new link.[p]Beers![p]Ed
    [ul][li]Egg Transporter[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    GrillMeister, you know, two 1/2" screw eyes on the inside top of those vertical supports would provide a nice way to secure these EGGporters to a hand-truck. You could use a bungy cord or just plain rope to do it. And actually you could do almost as well by tying the rope directly to those supports without the screw eye.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Hmmmm. I think you are on to something. A hand truck would come in very handy (no pun intended) for those places I couldn't where I could not drive my Tahoe.[p]Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister,
    I love your idea, but I have one concern over the execution.
    Screws set in end grain like that are not very strong. If you lift the egg up by the top panel at some point I am afraid it will fail on you. Also, wracking forces from driving and moving will loosen the screws and they will be difficult if not impossible to re tighten. Some one 1"x3 or 4" stock screwed into the legs from the face would put the load on them in shear where they are strongest. Then the top could be screwed through into the side (long) grain of those (much stronger.) This would not add much cost and minimal extra work.

• GrillMeister
    Options
    ljaycox,[p]I also added a layer of Gorilla Glue on the ends of the 2x4s and in the screw holes I drilled.[p]More bracing is always good. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas