Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Options
Gene
Gene Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at the Big Green Egg Store in Atlanta today and they have Cast Iron Grates. I bought one for my 18 in. Egg for $39.00. Anyone have one? It says to season it before use. Gene

Comments

• Basselope
    Options
    Gene,
    I bought one for my egg last year. I love this accessory. I wish it had come as standard equipment. Mine did not come with any instructions to season it before use, and frankly I am at a loss to understand why you would want to season it.
    I don't know about you, but I am not concerned if my lump sticks to my grate :-) (BTW it doesn't)

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Gene,[p]I just picked on up from my dealer but haven't used it yey. I will be seasoning it in my BGE. The dealer has benn using his and likes it a lot, we'll see. [p]Chuck

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    basselope,[p]I think Gene is talking about a cast iron cooking grid. I just pick one up but haven't tried it yet. [p]Chuck

• Gene, Seasoning probably has more to do with preventing rust than anything else. I've owned and used a cast iron frying pan for 15 years. It came with seasoning instructions that required me to coat it with peanut oil and bake it in the oven a 400 degrees or so for 30 or 40 minutes as I recall. This baked on the peanut oil. Since then I wash with mild detergents or, if possible, water only. If I get it too clean, I reoil it and put it away shiny. If you don't oil the iron, it will rust in the drawr.

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    Chuck ,yes it takes place of the porcelain one that comes with the Egg new.

• Buckiquer
    Options
    Gene,
    I recently purchased a cast iron cooking grid from BGE. I have used it on steaks and chops. Gives big grill marks.
    After using mine a couple of times I notices it had cracked in three different places. I am going to contact Bge to see if it warrenty. I think they will last muck long than the regular grid.

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Buckiquer,[p]You just bought it (cast iron)and it already has cracks but you think it will last longer than the original? I don't understand. I still have the original after three years. Did something happen to your original grid to make you feel that way? Seems that a brand new grid should not crack. Mac
  • Mac in NC ,
    It was made by a man not god. I'm sure they will replace it[p]