Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pibil (bbq in nanner leaves)

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I plan to make my next cook a butt using the basic idea in the link I've included. 350 for little over 3 hrs does not sound like what will work in the egg. Do you think about 225 for 12 to 18 hrs for a big butt inside one of them nanner leaves will produce a pulled pork with Mexi flavors purdy good, or not?
[ul][li]Mexi bbq [/ul]

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Why wouldn't the 350° for 3 hours work in the Egg? I don't think it would be any different than in the oven. You aren't going to get much, if any, smoke flavor through the foil. As stated in the recipe, this is more of a steamed dish than roasted. I'd give it a go at the times and temps stated and see what happens.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• JSlot,
    Hey , I might go with your suggestion on the time. As far as the steam through the foil...I'm just going to have them nanner leaves and "no" foil. What I'm hoping is that: yes it will benefit greatly by the steam and those spices, but I'm also bettin its going to pick up that smoke. I have had this and the texture of the meat is what pulled pork would be soaking in cooking juices, and that's what I'm looking for with the bonus of that smoke. What wood would you use? Dang that's a funny ain't it????wood would..Hehehe

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    I think the trick will be keeping those juices inside the banana leaves. I'm certainly interested in hearing how it turns out. I'd use a little apple wood for smoke. I think that would enhance the flavor you are shooting for. Keep us posted.[p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    Glad you said apple , I got a apple tree and if I had to go find a hickory or something else like that I'd be lost. I just know apple cause it has them on it in summer. Oh, I can tell a pine though and I learned better than that in Boy Scouts cooking over open flame. Thanks Mr Slot for the encouragement ...will keep you posted.

• Chet,
    Perhaps in a LeCruset(?)or cast iron dutch oven, uncovered, you'd hold most of the juice and still catch the smoke. Just an idea...

• Chet,
    Make sure the apple wood has been dried. You don't want to use "green" wood, the creosote could be unfavorable. [p]It is an interesting recipe, seems like it would be good.[p]Mike in MN

• Chet, I did a pork-butt recado pibil once in banana leaves, alongside a regular butt, for comparison. As I recall, I cooked both butts the same duration (perhaps as long as 18 hrs). The leaf-wrapped pibil didn't absorb enough of the smoke to taste, nor could I really taste the flavors imparted by the banana leaves (only the achiote recado). Perhaps if I had done two recado pibils, one with leaves and one without leaves, I might have noted the difference.