Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why the mustard?

Mr. Hyde
Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read countless people saying that they put yellow mustard on ribs, or butts, but I don't understand what the purpose is...can someone enlighten me?

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Mr. Hyde,
    Now I aint no scientist or anything, but it has something to do with the ingredients in mustard ( I believe vinegar ) that acts to tenderize the meat. Someone more knowledgeable will most likely chime in...but thats my understanding of it. It does NOT leave a mustard taste at all.[p]Wess

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    The main difference I have noticed in using/not using mustard is in the crust or bark. I have always obtained a much nicer crust when using mustard, IMO. It also helps the rub stick much better.[p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Mr. Hyde,
    I've just always used it because I thought you were supposed to. I've always done brisket and pork shoulder that way. I even use it in my milk wash when battering chicken strips or chicken fried steak. Gives a really good flavor.[p]Is it Friday yet?[p]Mike

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Lawn Ranger,
    I use it in the belief that the vinegar tenderizes the meat, and the knowledge that it helps the rub adhere (both below). Mustard in the milk wash - hmmm, you may be onto something there. I'll give it a try.[p]Ken

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Mr. Hyde,
    I think it is all in the bark. The mustard helps make it a thicker bark in my experiences. I have not noticed a flavor from it either.....[p]-Kevin

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Mr. Hyde,[p]I'm not an expert on the subject, by any means, but I tried it on a butt. It tasted lots better than what I had been doing and, as others have said, it didn't taste of mustard in the least. Also, IMO, you don't need to be using any fancy grade of mustard for this. I bought the cheapest "keg-o-mustard" I could find and slathered it on freely. Any rub you use will contribute MUCH more to the taste than the mustard, from my experience.
  • nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Mr. Hyde,
    I vote for the better bark theory. I can't see where it would help tenderize a big ole butt since the mustard is only on the outside. I would think only the outer layer of meat would get tenderized. I have noticed a difference in the bark though. With mustard produced a much thicker, more flavorful bark....no mustard tast though :-).[p]
    ~nikki

• Mr. Hyde,[p]I think these folks must have some broken goats...my goats don't seem to like mustard at all..so if'n I put it on my butt..they just won't come round..and that'll leave me with one messy butt..prolly till Saturday wash day. I stick with honey..goats just love honey...there ain't nothin betta than puttin real honey on the butt..and then trollin by the goat pen...dats some good times there..on accounta you know that in a couple minutes (cept for momma it's more like an hour or two..dependin on whether the first goat gets all plum tuckered out or not..even goats got their limits)..after you're all done laughin and what nots..you is gonna have one nice clean butt...and one pretty happy goat..sorta like a two for one deal. [p]Now whether or not the mustard adds taste or not is a tough one..on accounta our goats don't talk...but since I figured them goats didn't seem to come round that one time I was trollin with mustard..but they do everytime I troll with honey..I gotta figure the mustard must add some kinda off flavor or somethin...least of all for goats. I suppose since I tried the mustard only once..it ain't one hundred percent accurate...but I ain't bout to try again..on accounta it's a waste of good mustard..and there ain't no tellin, if you do somethin like that more'n once...just how mad the goats'r gonna get..and goats got real good memories..and they can hold a pretty mean grudge...wipin mustard off is one thing..but wipin honey off is somethin totally different..so's I ain't pushin my luck no more than I gotta...[p]Ahh..the life of a Stump[p]StumpBaby
  • Lawn Ranger,
    Does it have to be Friday?[p]CWM

• Don't tell anyone, but mustard adds absolutely nothing. It's just a vast conspiracy by the mustard lobby, the international barbecue alliance and the Roswell aliens.
    :)

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Mr. Hyde,[p]To play devil's advocate, I've read some reports on other forums over the years where folks did side by side cooks with and without mustard on otherwise identically treated meals and noted little to no difference in taste/texture. I'm not saying this is my opinion, just that I've read that enough to know that there are those out there with that opinion and that it should be considered.[p]Personally, I skip the mustard lately. I never personally noted a huge advantage to using it, and it saves me a prep step and saves me some mustard for hot dogs and such.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed,[p]While everyone says that you can't taste the mustard (and I haven't been able to thus far), I once did a rack of baby backs with mustard, and one without. One of our guests, who had no idea how they were cooked, tried both kinds, and said "oh, these have mustard on them". I still can't taste it, but at least one lady can.[p]Mostly just curious what the purpose was. It does seem to give a better bark.[p]Thanks all, for the responses.[p]Larry