Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Question (New EggHead)

Options
UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to be trying a couple filets for the first time on my large BGE this Friday. Any time\temperature recommendations for medium rare?

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

The temperatures for internal food cooking on the BGE are the same as any other cooking method.

Here is a great reference link. Also take a look at the Thermapens, one of the best tools I have ever purchased for the egg. Don't get a substitute.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/MeatTemperatureChart.htm

Calibrate your dome thermometer. 350° (calibrated) dome temperature is a good all around cooking temperature when you are sure how hot to use.

Welcome tot he forum and contratulations on your egg.

GG
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    There is no real recommended approach - just what you prefer.

If you are new to egging, it is probably easiest to got with 400-425 and cook until done to desired degree. Time depends on how thick the steaks are an how cold they are when they go on the grill.

I prefer to turn only once, but some like multiple turns. Either one will produce a good steak.

There is the T-Rex, where you start out as hot as you have confidence going and sear for about 90 seconds per side, pull the steaks and let the temp drop to 400 and finish the steaks there.

My preferred method for thick steaks 1 1/2" + is the reverse sear. I start them at 250 and let them slowly come up to about 100-105 internal, pull them and kick open vents and sear for about 90 seconds per side. I think it is faster and has better control than T-rexing, but it is a personal thing. YMMV (Your mileage may vary)
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    500deg dome temp. Cook till desired doness measured with instant read thermometer.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    i would pull them around 125, i like them thick at 1.75 to 2 inches thick and would treat them as miny roasts and pull them around 125 internal and rest. id go with the trex method of sear, take them off the egg for a 20 t0 30 minute rest and reduce egg temps to 375/400, then back on to finish the cook. heres the charts i follow, pulling temps and final carryover temps.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    UKBradC,

I would do exactly as fishlessman said with the addition of a good slosh of the Dram or Glayva just before you throw them on for the sear. The sweet crust compliments tenderloin perfectly.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like to do my fillet mignon in a Large BGE at 500f. For medium rare, I usually go for a total of 8 minutes, flipping every 2 minutes. But it's best to go by the internal meat temp.

Here are two ways I like to do them.
    Fillet with Twice Baked New Potatoes
    Beef Tenderloin with Creole Brandy Sauce
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This