Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first try at jerkey

Options
Chef Wil
Chef Wil Posts: 702
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
trying my first batch of jerkey:
4 pounds of brisket and trying to stabilize temp @160-170
should cook for about 5 hours?
how much should I expect when done, about 2 pounds?

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    My first attempt at jerky on the Egg was less than stellar. Not so much the Egg as it was my choice of seasonings. I did, however experience some temp difficulties the attributed to the overall, dismal outcome. [p]I was trying to get a batch done to take on my recent fishing trip to New Mexico, and was running out of time. As I didn't want to ruin another couple of really nice London Broils (my choice for jerky material), I opted for the oven method after marinading overnight in my old standby mixture of:
    Balsamic Vinegar
    Soy Sauce
    Worchestershire
    Brown Sugar
    Catsup
    Mustard
    a dash of Claude's Brisket Marinade
    and a sprinkling of crushed red pepper [p]Turned out great...even the racoons liked it, as on the 3rd night they knocked an entire camp box off of the table (dislodging the locking lid) and made away with the remainder of my stash and everything else that was edible. [p]I was having such a good time, I couldn't even get too upset.[p]Lagniappes to you man.[p]Mike[p]

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    jerkage.jpg
    <p />Howdy Wil,[p]What's your setup look like? You can go hotter than that if you would like. 5 hours seems about right. I have never cooked a batch of jerky where it was all done at the same time. You may have to pull it as it gets done. Don't forget to put a few smaller pcs. in the corners so you can sample as you go.[p]Good luck to ya. Let us know how it turns out[p]I returned your e-mail about my Temperature Rings this morning.[p]Mick
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    it sure does smell good........
    4 lbs brisket
    1/2 cup G'rilla shaker
    1/2 cup lea perrin
    1 cup soy sauce
    3 tbsp cracked black pepper

• Chef Wil
    Options
    MickeyT,
    geez, dats a setup if I ever seen one
    thanks and I'll get back at ya

• Chef Wil,
    Chef have you ever been to Randys site,. He has a lot of info and a couple things on jerky.. I know when I make something, I read up on everything I can before I try it.. I think if you scroll down to his techniques and tips section and click on you can also find some good stuff that is very adaptable the egg.[p]
    Dylan

[ul][li]RandyQ[/ul]
  • Chef Wil
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    I had read and read and read until my face and something else was read (red), so I took a dive and I must say, except for a little too much salt and not enuf sugar, it is pretty good.....Now wheres my PBR ???

• Chef Wil
    Options
    LinkPhoto?GUID=668522cf-7bd6-114d-7602-329270233441&size=
    <p />MickeyT,
    heres the verdict

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]First try Wil???????[p]I just drooled on my keyboard.[p]SWEEEEEEEEEET

• Chef Wil
    Options
    MickeyT,
    I see you did yours indirect with foil, I did mine direct. Does it matter ? and yes that was my first try...honest.

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    Looks great. Since the slicing, marinating ect is such a long process, I usually cook around 6-7 lbs. for about 12 hours.[p]CWM

• Q.N.E. tyme,[p]Hey Dylan, did you ever hear anything from Randy? Did he survive the fires?

• Lawn Ranger,[p]I'm trying Jerky tonight using Chef Wil's recipe...with one modification. I’m using 1/2 cup Steen's Cane Syrup (you can use Maple) in hopes of adding a hint of sweetness. This a quick stab at making Jerky so I'm waiting to see if the G'rilla Shaker and the other marinates will do their trick in 2 hours. I’ll let you know in..a few hours.[p]Marty

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]Looks fantastic! How's it taste?[p]How bout a recipe?[p]Cheeers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • LAD,[p]For a first attempt the jerky was pretty good. The Cane Syrup did add some sweetness (possibly a bit too much so next time I will go with 1/4 cup). Since I did my jerky indirect hanging down from toothpicks it took about 10 hours at 160-170*. I cut my meat about 1/4 thick thinking they would shrink substantially. So much for thinking. Next time I will cut the meat thinner since I'm trying to replicate the jerky I'm familiar with at the local 7 to 11 store or that can be found at Sam's. [p]Marty