Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My attempt at CarWash Mike's ribs...spongy

bcrawfo2
bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I followed CarWash Mike's recipe today and did three racks of baby backs. They were tasty....but not perfect.
Our best description is spongy. They were on for about 5.5 hours total. So...5 hours then 30 minutes with sauce.
I'm not sure if they're over or under done. My temps were pretty close to Mike's recipe...maybe on the high end.
Anyone have thoughts?

Comments

• Mushy? Where did you get the ribs?
    Pics?
    Mike
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    he must of dropped them on soft ground.........oh wait, as I remember, you had soft ground under foot in Atlanta......guess that's not it.

to firm them up, you can jump the temp, 350ish till firm. that's all I got....
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I wanted no part of those ribs. :) Evie Love and you took care of them. And egret at 6 of them. :woohoo:
    LR can testify who dropped them. :cheer:

Mike
  • Mike...the legend...thanks for responding.
    Ribs came from BJs...our version of Costco, Sams Club. They were cryovac'd.

My wife and I both agreed on the spongy description. Not mushy...which I'd describe if they were too wet. These weren't too wet...not dry. They just had a lot of give to them. But not tough either.
    They seemed done to me. I picked up the rack at one end and it made a nice U...just from it's own weight.
    I could almost pull a bone out clean.
    DSC_8368.jpg

TJV...
    They've been in the fridge for about 30 mins....think I can still pull that off? 350 on the egg?
  • They are supposed to be, slight tug away from the bone. Not fall off. Why the foil?
    Legend, don't get carried away.

Mike
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I think you may need to calibrate your thermometer, 5.5 hours at 250 they would have shrunk further down the bone. -RP
  • This is my stoker probe...clipped to the dome therm. I checked it in boiling water a few weeks ago...spot on.
    rib_cook.png
    I put the ribs on at exactly noon and pulled them at ~5:40...the drop in the green line.
  • AZRP
    What was your target temp, looks like it was 220, should have been 250 clipped to the dome therm stem. -RP
  • My target VERY closely tracked the grate temp.
    Mike's recipe calls for 200-225 for the first few hours...then 250....then finishing at 275.
  • AZRP
    Looks like you nailed that, never read Mike's recipe, I just go a straight 250 for the cook. -RP
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Could have used another 60-90 min probably.
  • Any chance (after ribs have been in fridge for 2 hours) that they could get some extra time? Or just chalk this up as a learning experience?
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Sounds like you need to give it another go. I've done his method 5 times and tried one of his ribs a few weeks back. His ribs are great and mine are getting better. The last batch was after the Denver fest and meeting Mike, it was the best so far. Just keep pumpin the meat on and trying new things.

"Egg strong and Live Long" :)
    me
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    odd that he does the CWM method, and then when CWM weighs in on his question he doesn't bother responding. w/t/f? hahaha

i think it's kinda tough to ascribe one thing or another to the "cause" of the sponginess from one test.

for one thing, i dunno what "sponginess" is, and some tug but pulling clean sounds otherwise excellent.

ten or twenty degrees ain't gonna play as big a role as the ribs themselves, which is what i think you were suspecting. if the guy picks them up and they are bending like he said, that's as good a donenes test as any.

just sounds to me like they were enhanced or something. beyond that, i have no idea how to gauge what the "sponginess" issue really is. guy might be used to a drier rib, versus cooking on the BGE?
  • Sorry my post didn't get updated...I responded on my Blackberry (a few minutes after Mike responded) while I was driving my son to sleep (I pulled over, not texting while driving)
    There was tug...but it "could" come clean of the bone.

The foil...that was for fridge storage after they cooled.