Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fishlesspond

Essex County
Essex County Posts: 991
edited November -1 in Off Topic
We put a small fish pond in our yard at the beginning of the summer. It housed about 50 fish, mostly goldfish but a few small koi lived there too. But yesterday, a heron cleaned it out. They were all there on Friday evening. None to be found on Saturday morning. We weren't sure about what had happened until the heron came back for another look in the afternoon. I scared him off but he was back again this morning. It's a bummer losing about 50 of your little buddies but now we have to think about how to heron-proof the pond. I think we'll start with a few strands of fishing line around the pond. It's supposed to startle the heron if he walks up to the pond. Anyhow, any other pond owners out there? Any other suggestions for keeping these efficient predators away?

Comments

• jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    that's too bad. man o man.

does it work to have any covered hiding spaces? or does the heron just sit there until they peek out from under the rock?

did you lose any of the old boys, from the tank inside?

sorry to hear it, missus essexco broke her back on that pond.....
  • Yeah, we thought there were enough overhangs for them to hide but now we will get a few lengths of PVC piping and drop them in. I've read that some of the smarter/luckier fish go to the bottom and hide there for a week. So, maybe we'll find a few survivors but none so far. The old goldfish are gone too.

As much of a bummer as this is, I have to admire the heron. It looks like an immature but he sure knows what he's doing. Althea got a couple of pics this morning. I'll try to post them later.
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    i think you mentioned a heron in the yard (or area) even before the pond was filled...

too bad about the fish. gotta admire the ruthless efficiency though. yikes.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    Could you add an alligator to the pond? Just thinking.:)
    We used a large sane/fishing(?) net over the pond to keep herons out. After a couple years we haven't needed it again.
    I have read a deeper pond will help also.And providing places to hide as you mentioned.
    They sell a motion activated sprayer also.
    jon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    fox or coyote decoy, even an big owl might help, works on geese and ducks on the pond. cabellas has some that spin and move in the wind. geese dont like grapevines, probably afraid of whats hideing in there, havent had a goose or duck in the yard in a long time, herons might not like that either.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • That's a suggestion I haven't seen anywhere in my web searches. Some suggest a heron decoy as they are territorial. But others say that says "Ok to fish here!"

Now that we are about over the trauma of losing our school, we're toying with the idea of just restocking with feeder fish and seeing if we can attract the herons.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    in the spring there is a pond over in danville where they all come to mate up in pairs, ive heard over 90 percent of the new hampshire herons arrive at that pond in the spring, its an insane site as the pond isnt that big. after they mate up they dont like eaxch other again, but the little ones will flock til the end of the summer. i would try the fox, closest in size to your dog :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it