Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for thos with tables / mounted eggs

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I don't have a table/outdoor kitchen (yet), but I've been wondering what your take is on this (for those with permanently mounted eggs)

I adjust the direction of my egg (bottom vent) depending on the prevailing breeze all the time. It seems I never cook with my egg in the same direction (unless I've got my stoker hooked up and it's adding air as necessary). I always seem to use or not use the wind depending on what I'm cooking. I couldn't imagine having a stationary egg and not being able to leverage the wind say to crank up the flame for a steak or pizza.

I've seen some posts of little handheld fans, but I think these are usually used for getting the fire going versus holding it on the bottom vent for the entire cook?

Maybe I could rig up a stoker/guru fan with a simple on/off switch for just these times when I want a hot fire.

I'm in a somewhat temporary housing situation at the moment, but long term I do plan to build a table/outdoor kitchen. I'm thinking I'll leave the egg in the nest, but remove the mates and make a slot for it so I can continue to leverage the wind to my advantage.

Just curious as to your thoughts on this topic.

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    well the easy answer is do what works for you, however, you should not be having temperature issues that cause you to need assistance from the wind. Rather than adjusting your egg to face (or not face) the prevailing breeze, wouldn't it be easier to adjust the damper door to increase or decrease the air flow?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I never move mine and do not have a problem.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Mine is built into a table and I have no problem controlling the temperature. Before I had the table, it was on a nest and I never turned it due to wind.

I use a wiggle rod to keep the fire grate clear of small lump and that seems to make a big difference in controlling the temperature.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    Options
    i have never experienced any effect from breezes. and i cook in squalls and blizzards in new england.

frankly, i don't think it is possible for wind to really blow INTO that little crack, even at 250/400/ not how wind works.

when a building has cracks around windows, or slightly opened doors, etc., the wind isn't push into those cracks. it's drawn into them by being sucked out the other side by negative pressure. the wind creates a slight vacuum on the far side of the building, and air is drawn in (the building).

sounds like the same thing as air blowing in, but it's important what causes it. because i don't think that the wind moving across the daisy can really generate any significant negative pressure to create a greater draft. it happens with a building because the wall that is on the other side of the breeze is relatively large, and allows a large are of negative pressure to build up.

take it for what it's worth, buti think any issue with temps during the wind is imagined, or a result of messing with vents. i never see any effect due to wind.

and again, i've had to cook in blizzards if i want ribs for game day....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do you mean "affect"? Just kiddin- this is one of those rare instances that both affect and effect are probably both correct depending on your intent.

I agree with you. I think basically the Egg creates it's own environment and that is governed by the fire in it's belly.

the use of a fan, or hair dryer or Digi Q II or whatever is different than wind.

I never move my Egg, also cooking out in all sorts of weather. If there is any effect, it's negligible.
    Most folks who build tables, myself included, have included wheels to allow it to be moved. If you are repositioning your Egg based on the wind, you probably should relax more and not worry about it.

Trust in the Egg.
  • jagweed
    Options
    "jagweed affected such an air of superiority regarding the use of 'affect/effect', and bob was affected to such an effect, that he threw a pie at jagweed in such a way as to effect a change in the affectation, to a humbling effect. jagweed adopted a sad affect, which was the cause bob wished to effect"

?!?!?!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I don't think that word means what you think it means.
  • jagweed
    Options
    i think i know what they mean. but thanks.