Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help For The Distressed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the trick to getting a shoulder or boston butt to have a good hickory smoked taste?[p]I've done pretty good with steak, chicken, hamburgers, and ribs (well the EGG has done pretty good). But my problem with BBQ is more than what the EGG can compensate. I've now tried to cook both a picnic shoulder (16 hour cook) and boston butt (22 hour cook), with little success. They both just tasted like plain 'ol ordinary pig.[p]My wife is now questioning her decision to let me buy an EGG. If I can't cook some good 'ol hickory smoked BBQ, then my grilling career will be back in the BBQ Restaurant.[p]Signed[p]Distressed Mike M.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Mike M.,[p]Meat picks up smoke flavor early in the cook; once its exterior hits about 140, smoke won't penetrate.[p]So it helps to start cooking on a cool Egg, with heavy smoke. If your target cooking temp is 220 dome, put the meat on when the temp is 150 and let it rise gradually over 1/2 hour or so. Put 5 or 6 chunks of hickory on the coals first, spaced evenly over the surface; they'll catch at different times as cooking progresses. You can also toss on a handful of chips if you want a smoky burst early on; I often do a mix of apple chips & hickory chunks. It's a terrific combination.[p]For even more smoke penetration, put the meat on cold. Here's a neat trick that helps maximize smoke penetration without overcooking the outside before the inside is done: let the butt sit at room temp for several hours. Then pop it in the freezer for 45 minutes before putting it on the Egg.[p]Hope this helps -[p]Cathy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S10_14_9922_55_00.jpg
    <p />Mike M., something is WAY WRONG. My 1st Boston Butt was reviewed by some work associates from Mississippi - all thought it rivaled any PP they had ever had. The [p]I've never done a ham, so no comments, but I'm sure that someone can offer some help.[p]The picture is my first attempt, the link is to the previous attempt back on 04/08 - Good Luck!

[ul][li]Butt![/ul]
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Mike M.,
    I tried e-mailing you, but it says it is a wrong address. Any, I use to have the same problem. I had a young man working for me when I was in west Texas that had a degree in Food Science from Texas A&M. He told me meat can not absorb smoke once the meat gets above 130 degrees. Lower, slower temperatures at the start will allow the meat to absorb more smoke. Cat has a good recommendation when she tells people to slightly freeze or at least "super cool" the meat immediately before putting it on the Egg. That was a method suggested by my man from Texas A&M too! I like the smoke flavor, and so does my wife and kids. I probably put more smoke into the cook early on than is required. The overkill though is a small price to pay. If you are using a polder, you can keep the smoke "pouring it on" until the meat reaches somewhere between 130 and 140 degrees. After that, it don't do no good! If you're not using a polder, keep smoke going until you are sure you have reached that plateau temperature. Make sure you are soaking your wood chunks in water long enough to soak it all the way through. Don't try using wood chips! They will burn up too quickly to give you lasting smoke. You can use them along with the chunks to give you massive generation at the start, but chunks work for the longer period of time better. Don't go squimish on the amount of wood chunks. Overkill is better at the start when the meat is relatively cool.[p]This works for me, everytime! Unless I try to hurry things! (Yes! I've been known to do that!) But then I catch the dickens from my wife. After 32+ years she can still jump my case pretty good! :^)[p]Give it a try, and let us know how it works![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Mike M.,[p]One thing the suggestions you received have in common is to use wood "chunks", not chips. You can use chips, but the chunks last much longer and you should not have to add any. I use 3-4 large chunks placed on the charcoal and spaced evenly around the edge. This allows each chunk to catch fire and smolder as the charcoal burns around to it. This should provide you with plenty of smoke to flavor your porker![p]Good Luck!
    Jim[p]PS Hello everyone! I'm still here.......

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    Howdy Jim! Glad to see you around.[p]Brant