Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner- 1/2 great, 1/2 so-so

JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well. I tried a new recipe tonight along with an old standard of mine. The standard (sausage, onions, peppers & mushrooms) turned out great. The new dish (bbq peanut butter chicken) wasn't all that spectacular. It was a recipe off of the top of a Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter jar and called for breast strips, but I used wings instead. I don't think it would have been any better with the strips. Here's some pics................[p]<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggpics/120203a.jpg">[p]Sausage, Peppers & Onions before cooking[p]
<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggpics/120203c.jpg">[p]Sausage, Peppers & Onions after cooking[p]
<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggpics/120203b.jpg">[p]
Peanut Butter Chicken before cooking[p]
<image src = "http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaslotterback/eggpics/120203d.jpg">[p]Peanut Butter Chicken after cooking

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    JSlot,[p]So what didn't you like about the PB chicken? It sure looks pretty. Was it the flavor? or lack of flavor? Would you try again, but doctor the original to get to where you wanted, or was it just a complete flop?[p]Just curious...[p]Mornin' coffees to ya,
    Tonia
    :~)

• JSlot
    Good morning, Tonia![p]The wings were not bad by any means. I had expected more peanut flavor. It was kind of like the mustard/rub thing. It made a nice crust and it did have a unique flavor, but no peanut flavor. It tasted great after it was mixed up, but cooking took the peanut butter flavor away. Here's the ingredient list....[p]1 cup Smucker's All Natural PB (no sugar added)
    ¼ cup soy sauce
    ¼ cup white wine vinegar
    ¼ cup lemon juice (I was out, I used fresh squeezed orange)
    1 t. crushed red pepper
    6 cloves garlic, finely minced
    2 t. finely minced fresh ginger[p]A friend of mine and his wife stopped by later in the evening, so I gave them a taste. They both thought they were awesome and couldn't quit eating them. They couldn't figure out the main ingredient in the marinade/paste, though.[p]This definitely wasn't a failure, but I'll try some of the other peanut butter sauce recipes out there before I try this one again.[p]Cheers!
    Jim

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    JSlot,
    I think part of your problem is the fat in the wings may have rendered and washed off some peanut butter, maybe using the chicken strips for the recipe may give you a more intense flavor ...JMO

• JSlot,[p]ahhh....peanut butter....peanut butter..now there's some painful memories my friend...you see...when I was just a little stump....momma done caught me with three cases of peanut butter hidin under my bed..and she done got real mad at the little stump..prolly for not sharin..but I tol her from what I'd seen..most specially early in the mornin..only folks in the house what needed peanut butter was prolly grampa...and seein as how he had what gramma called some real low hangin fruit..if'n he had some of that peanut butter..he prolly would fall over face first and hurt hisself somethin awful..only good thing what would come of that is he'd at least have a handle what we could lift him back up by..dats when momma done gave me the biggest hairy eyeball I ain't never seen her give before..(cept maybe for that one I'd seen her give gramma ...durin what we called bad breakfast week..when she done found out gramma was milkin our cow what had only that one single long utter) ..and I knew i'd bettah start splainin bout that peanut butter.[p]You see..when I was in grade school..i'd been noticin some changes goin on..some of the women folk..least of all the ones what weren't growin beards..were startin to git all lumpy and what not..north of the border..now they musta been spectin this....and prolly even thought it was good (although truth be told..if'n they ever seen gramma washin down at the creek..they might not be so thrilled bout them things gettin too big...don't know what gramma would do if'n grampa and poppa weren't round....when you hear grampa and poppa start countin to three..you autta be duckin somethin quick..most specially if'n your standin directly behind gramma on wash day....you would think somethin what looks so soft wouldn't hurt so bad..but there's a dog gone good reason grammas got two big hairless red spots on her back).[p]It was right bout this time..that the darned peanut butter started bein a problem...even given me some bad grades..though momma never really believed that..you see..one of my closest friends tol me that some womenfolks what really wanted them things to grow..but weren't havin much luck...were startin to rub peanut butter on em to make them grow..now it seems that rumor got round..and this caused a whole lotta trouble..most specially for us menfolk. I don't know if'n that peanut butter helped the womenfolk at all..but it sure worked on us menfolk (I still remember poor Dudley Finley..poppa was right bout him..he sure was confused bout hisself...seems like he thought us menfolk were supposed to use that peanut butter same way as them womenfolk..all his shirts started havin little brown spots instead of his pants...and it seems he was growin quite a pair of something most menfolk ain't got..he stopped comin to school alltogether..and poppa said if'n he grew somethin like that he'd never leave the house either..so I suppose that's what happened to Dudley..he was so embarrased he never left home again for nuttin) seems like from that time on tho..everytime one of us started to smell peanut butter..something south of the border would try like you read about..to make an appearance..and we'd all get bad grades..on accounta nobody would wanna go up to the blackboard to do their work..once...the teacher tried to force me to git up there....but then I lucked out..on accounta when I started to walk up to the board..he thought I had a back problem..and sent me to the nurses office.[p]Momma sure was mad..when she done found out bout that peanut butter problem....she muttered something bout poppa stashin peanut butter under the bed..and takin it out early each morning....but I don't know nuttin bout that...I tol momma that I think menfolk must dream bout peanut butter at night...but that they don't remember them dreams..on accounta they get dizzy and lightheaded..momma jus looked at me and shook her head..but she musta agreed..cause she said I was dreamin alright..and then she giggled somethin awful..and walked away shakin her gaint cranium..them cauliflower ears slappin side to side...[p]Ahhh..the life of a Stump...[p]StumpBaby[p]
  • JSlot
    Thanks for the tip, Wil.[p]Jim
  • Chef Wil,[p]Or perhaps serve those wings with a peanut dipping sauce.[p]
  • JSlot
    The sauce might have been good as a dipping sauce, Dave.[p]Jim
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    JSlot,[p]No offense Jim but that before picture of the chicken looks like it fell out of Linda Blair. The end result looks quite yummy though.[p]How do you cook your pepper dish? Is that cooked in one of those veggie plate thingies?????[p]PS. My ham got away from me and turned out a little dry. I'll e-mail you.[p]Mick

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    JSlot,[p]So, how long did you marinate them? The recipe sounds very good...and using some of the mixture as a dipping sauce sounds like it would be an excellent modification...[p]I love wings on the egg and am always trying new ones. I might use crunchy peanut butter instead, just 'cause I think it would be kinda fun![p]Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Tonia
    :~)

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    QBabe,[p]I was gonna suggest using cunchy peanut butter too ... just bet it would taste p-nuttier.
  • Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    JSlot,[p]There's a wing recipe in Smoke and Spice that uses peanut butter (kind of a Thai smoked wing recipe.) I've made it once, and IIRC it was good. Then again, I had about 15 guys over for a football game, and there might have been beer involved. If you don't have S 'n' S, I'll transcribe it for you.[p]Rich G.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JSlot,
    That does look good. I am suprised you did not get that peanut taste with a whole cup of peanut butter. I do a few recipes with peanut butter, and have noticed plenty of peanut flavor with just a few tbsp of Jif. [p]I have a pound of peanut butter powder I have been meaning to play with. Wonder what that would be like?[p]Ales on you. Don't wanna take Juggy's line ;-)
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Chef Wil,
    Good point. Not much is gonna soak through that skin, so you'll only taste what is left on the outside at the end. That peanut butter powder I mentioned might stay on better in a dry-rub form, and build up a nice crust that would stay on.[p]Using some in a glazing/finishing sauce toward the end of the cook might do the trick too. Or as Dave sez, make a dipping sauce.[p]Beverages!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JSlot
    Yes, Mick, tell me about the ham. The "before" pic on the chicken was taken under flourescent lighting without the flash. The rest of the pics had the flash enabled. That's why it has the eerie look to it.[p]I purchased one of those shaker baskets with the removable handle to cook my sausage/pepper/onions/mushroom creations. It's really great for any type of stir fry dish. I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance. I basically put the basket full of stuff in the Egg at ~375° direct and then stir it every 10-15 minutes or so. Works like a charm![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    I marinated them for about two hours. One thing that I think may have disappointed me is that there is no sweetness from the all-natural PB. Of course, the sugar in regular PB could create a scorching problem, although I have several untried recipes that call for using it.[p]Frosty Ones,
    Jim

• JSlot
    I've got the book and I've seen the recipe, Rich. I'll have to give it that one a try. Seems like wings are on the menu 3-4 times a week here anymore. LOL![p]Jim
  • JSlot
    Yeah, don't go stealing lines, Chris. Nobody had ever said that before he did! Amazing. LOL![p]Jim
  • Nature Boy
    JSlot,
    I was disciplined once for using "heee". [p]I can't confirm the originality of "beers to you" or "beers" or "frosty ones to you", but what I do know is that beer is one of my most enjoyable hobbies, and I love to share.[p]Heee.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com