Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Help please...

BarBQBudBarBQBud Posts: 13
edited 10:07PM in EggHead Forum
First time BGE user. Trying to cook first butt. Everything seems to be going fine, except i can't get the temp below 300 degrees. I have the lower air vent closed to withing 1/4 of an inch, the 5 holes on top almost completely closed - been this way for about 30 minutes.
any suggestions?

• jagweedjagweed Posts: 188

it'll come down.
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    Like Jag said but maybe take the bottom vent to 1/8" also if you haven't added the butt toss it on.
  • Bud...No worries, it will settle down. Always hard if you overshoot the desired temp, but it will come down.
  • I'd cook it at that 300 degrees. It'll take less time, but it'll taste just as good.

• 2 miller lites later - down to 275 and doing okay - i think.

My old weber gas grill took about 5 or 6 beers to cook a butt, how many beers will it take with the BGE?
  • :laugh: :lol: ;)
    I am not into Marathon cooks any more, though I used to be. Now, I just want to eat. :lol: ;)

It's not about the beers, you can drink them while you're prepping, while the Egg is heating up, while the meat is resting in the cooler (or Cambro), as well as while it's cooking. :)

Oh, and beer is good with the meal, too! :blush: :lol: :woohoo:

and a necessity at clean-up time
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    well you either drink slow or cook fast :whistle: A hamburger takes me 5-6 beers :woohoo: :laugh:
  • :blush: :laugh: ;)

• FWIW- here's what my draft door looked like on a 250 cook:

I'm holding a nickel.

the petals on the daisy were closed all but a crack.