Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Altitude Cooking

Options
VTHokie2005
VTHokie2005 Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live here in Colorado Springs at an altitude of a little over 6000 feet. The other week I did my first cook on the BGE with a couple of pork butts and found it to take substantially longer than the 2 hours per pound that is estimated.

Anyone else at high altitudes? Just curious to know what your cook times are when you do pork butts? And how about everything else, does it take you longer to cook in general?

Comments

• Serial Griller
    Options
    Heh VT!
    Nice to hear from another egghead in the area.I'm just up the road in Larkspur..6525ft.
    I've noticed a bit of difference but haven't tried a butt on my new egg yet.I've cooked them on my Hasty-Bake using a DigiQ2 and that seems to help here in the thin air.You might check into a DigiQ2. Take a look at www.bbqguru.com
    Maybe Molly (cookinbiker) there in the springs can give you a couple of tips and share her experiences with cooking a butt.
    Stay in touch!
    Jon
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Not sure I understand... 250 degrees is 250 degrees at any altitude.
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    There is less oxygen in the air and it's been my experience it takes longer to get to temp because the fire doesn't burn as hot as it would at sea level.
    We at altitude need to use more charcoal.
    Jon
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    At 5300' on a straight cook, using 270° dome temp, butts in the 8# range usually come out in 15 or 16 hours.

If I opt for a foiled finish, I can shave several hours off that.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • StoicDude
    Options
    I am in Reno, which is about 4500ft, but I haven't done any pork butts.
    I ve done ribs and brisket and didn't have any problems. I did notice that my mini doesn't really go over 600 even with the vents wide open.
    I thought that that issue had something to do with latitude, but I am not sure.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Yeah, what Wayne said!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Altitude is an issue with things like stews because water boils at a lower temperature so you are cooking at a lower temo when the stew, or chili or beans are boiling.

In baking the levening agents act differently and you have to adjust.

When you are applying heat to meat, I do not understand why it would have much affect. There are lots of things that can cause variation in the time it takes to cook a butt.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, meat is about 75% water....
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Sorry if I missed it, but at what dome temp did you cook the butts? I have cooked hundreds of them here in the Springs and the Denver area and they virtually all cook in the 1.5-2lb/hr range. Evey once in a while you get one that goes faster or longer but not all that often. I use 250°ish dome.
  • Never Summer
    Options
    I'm in Colorado at 8500 feet and haven't noticed a difference - maybe you need to see if your thermometer needs to be calibrated?

Patty
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I am 5,000'. For me at a calibrated dome temperature of 250° a butt takes about just under 1.5 hrs/#. I can't seem to get ribs to cook as long as many posts I read from others cooking ribs. BB ribs take about 4 hours - again 250°.

A nice soft simmer is 300° - 320° at grid 335°-345° dome.

I don't find a lot of issue with the large. Medium I have to be careful, mini is a cooking machine. I don't use the small much at all but it seems high temperatures are troublesome, again, I haven't put much effort with the small.

I have experienced very slow starting and low max temperatures until I learned and began to use a wiggle rod.

I now just dump the lump in the egg, I use all previously burned lump, mixed new and previously and new lump even small pieces of lump.

Using oil & napkin to start, I can get the medium (my most difficult egg) up to and holding 650° in as little as 11 minutes. No fans and no modifications.

Just make sure your air holes in the fire box and more importantly holes in the fire grate are clear of small pieces of lump. Ash won't make much difference unless you stir it up. If you use lump from a past burn, stir and make sure the lower air holes are clear.

If you see a stall in temperature or slow to reach temperature grab the wiggle rod and get the holes cleared in the fire grate from below. A hanger will work in a pinch but one really needs something stronger.

GG
  • VTHokie2005
    Options
    Dome temp was at 250ish while cooking the butts, maybe a little less (240). I was cooking 2 7.5 lb butts and probably would have taken I estimate about 20 hrs in the end if I would have let them finish properly...so about 2.6 hrs per pound.

I had already calibrated the thermometer before cooking them using the correct boiling point for this altitude so I doubt that was the issue.

I noticed some people saying they use a 270 dome for their butts. I'll probably try that next time. I know after moving out here from NC last December, it seems I'm always having to cook things in the regular oven at a slightly higher temperature to get them to finish at the same amount of time. Can't say the higher cooking temperatures dry the meat out or anything...guess it is just the altitude.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    VT,
    I will kick mine up to 275°-300° after the plateau to speed'em up a bit on occasion (it doesn't seem to have any negative effect whatsoever). 'Course sometimes, you get them that just cook a bit slower.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    OK, I agree with that statement, longer to get to tempurature, but 250 degrees is 250 degrees.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    A little more digging turned up the following.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/high_altitude_cooking_and_food_safety/index.asp#5

The bottom line is: Use the sea-level time and temperature guidelines when oven-roasting meat and poultry, as oven temperatures are not affected by altitude changes.

More detail below:

How Do High Altitudes Affect the Cooking of Meat and Poultry?

Meat and poultry products are composed of muscle, connective tissue, fat, and bone. The muscle is approximately 75% water (although different cuts of meat may have more or less water) and 20% protein, with the remaining 5% representing a combination of fat, carbohydrates and minerals. The leaner the meat, the higher the water content (less fat means more protein, thus more water).

With such high water content, meat and poultry are susceptible to drying out while being cooked if special precautions are not taken. Cooking meat and poultry at high altitudes may require adjustments in both time and moisture. This is especially true for meat cooked by simmering or braising methods. Depending on the density and size of the pieces, meats and poultry cooked by moist heat methods may take up to one-fourth more cooking time when cooked at 5,000 feet. Use the sea-level time and temperature guidelines when oven-roasting meat and poultry, as oven temperatures are not affected by altitude changes.