Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a good recipe for Salmon Steaks...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If anyone has a good recipe with details on temp and time, I'd appreicate it.[p]Regards,
B.A.

Comments

• B.A.,
    I buy those big filets at Sams and slice them into slices about 2 inches wide. I then sprinkle on some Dizzy Pig Ragin' River rub, add a couple of slices of banana (sliced the long way) and then cook them 30 minutes at 350 on a raised grid with a grill topper thing covered in foil. About halfway through, I drizzle them with maple syrup mixed with melted butter. Maybe about a 2:1 ration of syrup to butter. Yum.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • B.A.,
    i buy the big filets also, cut them about 2 inches wide . ..coat with olive oil and dizzy pig raging river or tsunami spin or ken stones gilded splinters. . .grill direct at 400, turn once till done (about 8 minutes per side). .. .one thing i've started doing is thin slicing about 3 large lemons, and laying the slices all over the grid and putting the fish on top of the lemon slices. ..that way you don't have to worry about the fish sticking to the grid, and you get a nice lemon infusion. .. no grill marks though. ..

• The Naked Whiz,
    My wife calls this the best Salmon she has eaten. In fact just got 24 bottles of Ragin River Rub. Giving that and the recipe for Christmas presents.[p]Grillin Bill

• Grillin Bill,[p]Fergit sumpin?[p]Pete
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    salmon.jpg
    <p />B.A.,[p]I just did these on Thanksgiving Day.
    They aren't steaks but they are cooked the same.[p]Sprinkle heavily with RRR, on a raised grid and something to deflect the heat. 200-220 for 3 hours. More smoked at this point than grilled.[p]Non stop heaven![p]I have found that the Dizzy Pig group of rubs gives you tremendous flavor without destroying the flavor of the salmon.

• MickeyT,
    Those look great.. See the one near the bottom, kinda shaped like a fish huh.. Gives me a idea to cut the fish shape out of a whole filet when I grill it.. Be cool looking...[p]
    Dylan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Your always thinkin, Dylan ~~
    cheers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    B.A.,
    I see you not only got cooking suggestions below, but can't argue too much with the rub suggestions..hee. Thanks yall.[p]Salmon is really flexible. I usually cook thick steaks at slightly lower temps, but anything from a low smoke to a hot sear works good. If you like a good crust from the rub that I would cook direct. I tend to like the 300-325 range for thick pieces. Gives the outside just enough time to crust up before the inside starts bubbling out fat. [p]You could also go indirect anywhere from 275-400 until it wants to flake. Or sear the hell out of it at 700 for a couple minutes a side and eat rare if you have good fresh salmon. Many ways too go. Alder or fruitwood smoke can provide a real nice flavor if you want smoke.[p]Let us know what you do!
    Have fun
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • To: All[p]Looks like I need to call Dizzy Pig. Thanks for all of the insight everyone![p]