Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HDTV "Signal"

Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in Off Topic
So I have an HDTV, but for resaons I dont want to get in to, I am getting just basic cable via coax into back of the TV, like the old days, not even digital.

Question(s):
If I found a Box compatible with my provider (cable similar to but not Comcast)off of Ebay or Craigslist, would it be a simple plug & play?
At what point does the a signal become HD? Does an HD box convert the signal or is the signal coming through the coax diffenent?

My goal is to have access to more channels and other services provided through the box, such as DVR. HD would be a bonus.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    seems to me that they had to switch the digital on at comcast before i even got the signals on the line. then all was digital until i got the box to up it to hd. the hd was touchy at first until they changed out the older cabble coming to the house and all the connections on the cable ends
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The HD signal being delivered via the coax is completely different than your basic cable signal. You need an HD-capable receiver plugged into the coax, and your cable company has to enable it (and increase your bill, too).

I switched to DirectTV when I got my HD, got rid of cable, and have never looked back, fwiw.

Scott
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    There are two types of HD tv's. One with an HD tuner and the one that HD ready.

If you have a built in HD tuner you can pull in you local HD stations..

If not you will have to pay more to have the signal pushed to your TV.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    you can receive hd signals over the air with antenna.
    if you check tvfool.com
    you can see what is available over the air for free.
    your hdtv will receive digital channels over the air.
    jon
  • That's a good point, I forgot about that. If your TV has an HDTV tuner you can buy a pair of rabbit ears for about $20 and pick up your local broadcasts in HD without an external box.

You still will need an HD receiver and the HD cable package to watch any cable channels in HD though.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    What about the HD antennas? A buddy of mine has one. You don't get a bunch of channels, but free HD.
  • jonboy
    jonboy Posts: 163
    I was told by the guys at radio shack,(they sell hd antennas) that there is no difference between the old type and new antennas. Just marketing.
    My old roof top ant. receives all the hd in the area.
    jon
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    No kiddin :ermm:
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    The OVER-THE-AIR HD channels are at a higher bandwidth with less compression and they look better because of it. I have DirecTV and my OTA antenna hooked as well. If I am watching a network (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,UPN,)program I will watch the OTA channel.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Any idea how far away you are from the broadcast tower?

I'm curious as to the range of HD broadcasts.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap