Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I get my egg next Sat. what was your 1st cook?

Options
Kroger
Kroger Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello BGE Nation.

So I took the plunge and purchased a Large egg. Scheduled for delivery and setup next Saturday. Looking forward to it and just curious, do you remember what your first cook was??

Over the past few years, I've used a Weber Smokey Mountain for my smokes. And while I love my WSM, I've always wanted a BGE. So when my wife said hey, I was at the store and noticed this thing called the Big ... I finished the sentence for her. lol

Anyhow, I did some ribs on the WSM this past weekend as a bon voyage kind of smoke as I will probably be selling it. I'll miss ya buddy.

3919937670_f2ebfa9e24.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    You will notice some differences in the way your food comes out of the Egg vs the WSM. Because the Egg is so insulative it takes considerably less fuel to maintain temp. This also means considerably less air will be passing over your food giving a much moister product. I kept my WSM about 2 years after getting my first Egg but didn't use it. Made a couple butts on it for old times sake before giving it away to my wife's horse trainer. Welcome to the club. -RP
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome aboard!

My first cook was doing some bread (I didn't get it home until after dinner) from a mix that my dealer gave me. My next cook was individual chicken pieces. A lot of people recommend the Spatchcock chicken as their first cook (I think it is called Simon and Garfunkel in the BGE manual).

Just keep it simple with an inexpensive cut of meat for your first time or two so you don't get stressed out. There is a learning curve but it comes quick.

Finally, while there is some dispute about the need for a break-in, most will agree it is better to be safe and keep it below 400 for the first several cooks to avoid gasket issues.

Experiment and have fun!

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Kroger
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the break in and keeping the temps below 400.
  • SoonerChris
    Options
    First cook...Spatchcock chicken, of course! Seems to be a VERY popular 1st cook.

Dead Simply Spatchcock Chicken
  • Conundrum
    Options
    Got mine for Christmas 2005 - I knew about it in advance and my first cook was a full beef tenderloin for Christmas dinner, of course it came out great but it made for a little pressure!!
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Welcome aboard Newbie...
    After the aforementioned short learning curve, you will find the Egg is extrmeley simple to use especially you being an experienced Barbecue cook.
    Whole chicken gets my vote for first cook. Plenty of time for spatching later.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I got one too,and love it.No way I'd ever sell it.Comes in handy as a backup when cooking multiples at different temps. :)
  • sharhamm
    Options
    Only have had our medium for a short while. Have used it 4 times.
    1. Think cut pork chops
    2. Chicken legs and thighs
    3. Leg of Lamb
    4. Pork Ribs
    the first two attempts tasted good but I didn't let the BGE burn until the smoke was clear. Some carbon taste.
    After asking questions on here and learning that you let the lump burn for 30+, or until the smoke is clear did things start tasting fantastic. You're going to love it.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    No shame in a WSM. That is a solid smoker. I went nuclear on a couple of strips for my first cook. It was Christmas Eve and I cooked for the little lady and my parents. 25 degrees outside and it shot up to 750 in no time! I have been an addict ever since! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Signal 99
    Options
    Beer Can Chicken - tasted like baloney. Wife still reminds how far the Egg & I have come. Make sure the smoke clears before grilling, regardless of what you cook.

Welcome to the family
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Pizza....yes that was my first documented cook.......and soon afterwards some 2" TRex ribeyes......also had a WSM....the change is literally like going from earth to heaven......here are my photos........good luck!!

Pizza013-1.jpg
    GreenEgg011.jpg
    GreenEgg016.jpg
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Options
    2 Spatchcock chickens. Came out great.
  • Sundazes
    Options
    I cant remember what the first cook was, but I do remember that I didn't wait long enough for the smoke to clear. The food tasted much better once I started letting the smoke clear.
    You will love it.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    'LONEY is GOOOOD if cooked properly! B)
  • James MB
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken - great eating, hard to mess up and not much risk money. That's roasting though.
    First smoke was probably salmon and first slow cook was pork shoulder I should think.

I still have my WSM, still use it sometimes but I couldn't sell it. My sister has asked for a loan of it though so.....
  • Kroger
    Options
    You were not joking when you said TREX sized cuts!

Great pics. Yeah, I look forward to doing some pizzas as well. It looks like you have the pizza on a pan that is on top of the stone. Any reason why you didn't put the pizza on the stone directly? Is it just easier to get it on/remove when using a pan?

Thanks!
  • chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Options
    Pork spares which came out better then anything I cooked on my old ECB. Just did some yesterday .. was awesome again.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    My first cook was a pizza. I didn't hear about the break-in period until after my first cook. I charred the heck out of the gasket in some spots, but didn't have the adhesive failure that the break-in period is supposed to prevent.

IMG_0346small.jpg

Looks pretty...tasted nasty. Make sure the stinky white smoke clears off before you start cooking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i jumped right in with pulled pork, really easy compared to the weber ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Welcome! My first meal was also a spatchcocked chicken. This past weekend I tried my hand a small spatchcocked turkey. I turned out great!

IMG00058-20090913-1409.jpg

fc :)
  • TexasTigerFan
    Options
    I did spatchcocked chicken. Very easy and a good break in temperature for the gasket (i.e. not too hot).

Good luck,
    Mike