Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let the dryng begin!!!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, UPS has now delivered my new bag sealer recommended for use with the Dry Bag brand bags for dry aging meat. Off to see the butcher today or tomorrow for 10 to 12 pound chunk-o-cow.
IMG_0601.jpg

Funny thing about the sealer is the instruction manual. It's a Chinese product and the manual is a hoot. No need to waste money on a proofreader who knows English that's for sure! Foot was used interchangeably for food and fork for pork. No spell checker was used either as one section is entitled part Descriptiiion Prsesntation. The most telling was the last page which apparently is a suggestion of dishes to go with certain meats. What caught my eye was pig's lung, pig's brain, snake, dog and cat. That page could have been eliminated IMO!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey Ron, I used mine earlier in the week, give me a call and I'll give you some pointers. -RP

800-845-2252 x321
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Intresting Ron, I just finished watching the video of it. Will be waiting to see what you think.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • A little shepard meat at a eggfest could have a different meaning for sure.
    E
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I am very interested in getting one of these systems. Let us know how it goes.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Can you send me a link to the video you referenced?
  • Mine will be here tomorrow
  • RRP
    here you go - lots of info and also the how to video.
    http://www.drybagsteak.com/

then if you want to see the follow up posts from that guy go to this link and scroll down to August 2nd and the final is August 4th. It made a believer out of him!
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/search/label/Beef
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    seems like a pretty fair review. i just do not understand the violent trimming of the steaks. two weeks aging isn't much, and there's nothing to trim. the guy aged them, then removed all the best stuff.

i get the 45 day stuff from the butcher up here, and "trimming" means clipping a tag or two of decidedly leathery (as in, jerky) stuff.

it's a shame to go through that effort and remove the best stuff. after two weeks, he's got mostly enzyme action and just a little drying. if he cuts off the densest part, he's removed what dried (what wwould have been dense, including the fat) and has something closer to wet aged beef. which is good, but isn't dry-aged.

i think people are skittish. all this desire for dry aged, but then when faced with it, they flinch and revert to "must be pretty red beef" thinking.

let us know how you make out, and PLEASE let me know the benefit of in the bag versus out of the bag. you might do well to buy two primals. dry age one in the bag, and another next to it without.

if someone told me the bag helped slow the drying so you could get more enzyme action by going longer, that might be a plus.

have you ever just done it the "real" way? and if not, why not? give it a shot. you'd be in a position to compare the two methods, also

i wish i could post a movie, what a dry aged steak looks like, how dense it is, and maybe how it cooks
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    I don't know bro. Throw a brain on the egg indirect with a heap of lump and some hickory and I bet it's awesome!
  • RRP
    I read your challenges and understand your suggestion of a side by side test, but since I've already got $165 invested in equipment and spare bags I'll try this first. I'm quite aware of the taste of good dry aged beef and anticipate great results. As for being skittish about just letting it age at the back of the refrig I'd feel better if I just had a spare refrig for that purpose, but otherwise getting in and out the refrig hundreds of times over the course of 21 days just makes me feel better knowing the meat is somewhat protected in the bag. Not sure if you read 4 posts made to AZRP's post by Rees as he posted them long after the thread had died down, but Rees has product experience and insight and said the bag very much becomes a tight skin to the meat, not just from the vacuum but during the aging process.

Question though, Jeff, do you really leave that much of the "jerky" on the steaks? Wouldn't that hard crust be too hard to chew?

I'm waiting to see the weekend butcher shop ads to see if anything is on sale so I can go buy a primal or two and get the 21 day aging period started!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Pickle,
    Sorry I didn't see your post but it looks like Ron has it covered. I'm at the pub so when someone is talking to me I'm displaced. LOL

Sorry,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    trying to find another sticky fingered chickadee, huh, Bob? :whistle:
  • jagweed
    jagweed Posts: 188
    see your mail. not worth typing it here... it's been proven over and over here (or at least alleged) that i dunno anything that i'm talkin about. hahaha